Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Will this desk support a 4ft x 2 ft x 2ft?

Featured Replies

HI,

I just got my new tank. I was hoping to use an old desk we had here as a stand. It's pretty heavy but will it be strong enough?

Here's some pics

DSC06502.jpg

DSC06503.jpg

DSC06504.jpg

The sides and back have been covered by a two layers of 5ml chipboard stuff

DSC06505.jpg

Heres a pic of underneath

DSC06506.jpg

I'm not sure if it is good enough? Hubby reckons its strong as but I don't want to take any risks.

What do you guys think? thanks

and maybe some diagonal bracing across the back? you wouldn't see it but it'd make it a lot stronger. Agree with mystic - another layer of board on top then poly and it should be sweet as.

and maybe some diagonal bracing across the back?

It looks to be sufficient, I would stand on it & jump up & down to see how it handles that. if it moves then it's probably not suitable as your tank will probably weigh 4 times more than you.

it has the back panels which is better than a diagonal brace but it may need more fixings to strengthen it properly.

and maybe some diagonal bracing across the back?

Wouldn't do anything as the 5mm mdf will provide ample diagonal bracing.

It looks to be sufficient, I would stand on it & jump up & down to see how it handles that.

I doubt if an ~80kg person jumping up and down will be any use in determining if it will support 500kg+ over a long period of time.

I'm not sure if I'd risk it. Some close up photos showing the construction around the bottom (like the lower half of the second pic) would help, although it is hard with the ridiculously small size of pictures able to be posted here. IMO the biggest thing to look for is how the weight will be transferred from the base of the tank to the floor. In the second pic it looks like the "legs" are made from 2x2, is that right? How thick is the timber on the top, and how thick (or are there any) horizontal supports?

The other thing I don't like is that the weight will be sitting on 8 feet rather than spread evenly over your timber floor.

If it were me, and my hundreds of dollars worth of gear and fish at risk, along with the floor coverings/house, I wouldn't skimp on the stand...

I doubt if an ~80kg person jumping up and down will be any use in determining if it will support 500kg+ over a long period of time.

it's a better idea than judging whether it will be strong enough by looking at pictures. :wink: get the whole family on it :lol:

it's a better idea than judging whether it will be strong enough by looking at pictures. :wink: get the whole family on it :lol:

Or a couple of really fat people

A 4x2x2 packs a lot of weight into a compact footprint... i had to track down a solid oak cabinet for mine... wasnt prepared to put it on anything else.

Im

I would say no. Those desks are very nice and well made but just arent made for that amount of weight.

That tank will be well over to 1/2 a metric ton when glass, gravel, water, rocks and all other fittings are included.

Would you park your car on top of that cabinet?

It looks quite sturdy and the two divisions will enforce the integrity of the top. I would say it would prolly be OK, but this cabinet was just not designed for that type of weight, and to be honest I personally wouldn't use it for such a big tank. You'll just have to decide if you want to take the risk.

I'm looking at our two Aqua one stands and they aren't anywhere near as sturdy as that.....

I would have a good close look at the joinery and dimensions of the main frame first. The panels will prevent the frame collapsing sideways. If the construction looks solid enough, and as I suspect the drawer frame is of 50 x 50mm timbers, I would go for it.

Maybe as an extra precaution, place a sheet of 18mm ply over the top for added strength, and a sheet of polystyrene to sit the tank on.

Oh, and remove the little feet from the bottom too so the frame sits nice and flat on the floor.

My reasoning for all this advise, Im sitting at a similar desk as I type and would not hesitate to place a bigger tank on it.

I have a 450 x 450 x 900 tank on a Criterion buffet unit that is not as well constructed with no problems.

You will have great storage in the desk for all your fishes bits and under it for the filter.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.