Changing Substrate

Gill

Will my fish get too stressed if i leave them in the tank whilst change some of the gravel. I have removed some of the gravel and the water is rather cloudy and stirred up,through the murky water i can see the fish are having a good dig around the left over gravel though. I have done a water change to help remove clear up the murky water ... :):):)

think about how manky the current gravel is and how thoroughly you may or may not have been able to gravel-vac it recently. Stirring up all that muck may release clouds of toxic murk.

You may be fine, but there is a risk if you gravel is old and particularly gross. I have killed fish just by doing an extra thorough gravel vac and swishing all the gravel around.

I think the murk is mainly from the clay and media i have under the gravel. So far i have taken three buckets of gravel out but there is more to go. I didn't fancy trying to catch all the fish especially the BNs ,hope my Yoyos will appreciate the effort i am going to. I just hope the fish think its been very stormy of late :):):):)

Yipppppeeeee, i have finally finished re modelling my tank. All fish survived the turmoil. I am just waiting for things to settle and i will take a photo.It looks so much better with the new substrate, and plants from Hummingbird i went for the very dark grit from Stone and Water. I ended up using almost 2x 15 litre bags. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: