Old Wooden TV Tank

aquanaut

I have been thinking of making one for some time now and have nearly completed my first one. I bought an old tv off the net for $5 and away i went. It was a little harder than i thought it would be, the tube of old tv's can hold a charge and it can be a nasty belt. The tube can implode also so that is another problem. The best way around these problems is to leave the tv unplugged for a good amount of time, ie a month. You can discharge the tv yourself with a long screwdriver under the cap, but it best left to a professional to do.

Another problem i came across was the tube is one piece so if you want to retain the front glass to give it the real tv look you have to cut it apart. I lay it down on the ground and knocked the top off the back with a long stick so it could de-vacuum properly, hoping for no implosion. I then broke out most of the glass and ground it down and sanded the edges. Next time i will try a heavy duty glass cutter to get a cleaner look.

I have included some pics of the nearly complete tv, less the tank and light that i need to purchase.

DSC01136-1.jpg

DSC01137.jpg

DSC01139.jpg

DSC01141.jpg

Its pretty ruff looking but i needed a trial one to see if it was too hard to do myself.

It wouldn't matter with my one as the TV glass and the tank are seperate units. There was silver and grey film, like a thin paint i rubbed off the inside of the tv tube. It rubbed off very easily with a wet cloth, i haven't growen any extra arms or legs yet so i think it is safe! It could be lead based or something like that being old so maybe gloves should be worn.

From memory the glass is lined with phosphor or something like that.. If you are using that and then another layer of glass it would be very hard to view the tank behind that glass with any glare or anything and may end up looking quite shabby, I guess it would have to be done to find out first..

Capacitance of tube should also dissipate quite quickly, wouldn't hurt to poke under the button with a multimeter first to make sure though.

I made one of these years ago but it didn't look cool because I just used a normal custom made tank in the frame and the framing for the screen was rounded, your plan would get around this so I will be interested to see how it works.