What sort of pump...?

si_sphinx

I need a pump for a sump and tank setup

Tank will be 720 litres (2.0m x 0.6m x 0.6m)

Sump is 100 litres

head height for pump will need to be 1.5m min

sump will be fed via overflow pipes drilled into back of tank

My question is... what size return pump (pond pump) will i need? i.e litres/hr

What brands are good.

I'm wanting to also have the pump run 2 or maybe 3 return inlets to create the needed current in the tank to keep the waste moving up to the overflow. So what size return pipes will i need that will suit the pump so i don't get any loss in water pressure from having too big pipe of too many outlets?

Ive done heaps of research on sumps etc and got it all drawn down what I'm going to do but just a few final things i need to know so thought i would ask people that have these setups already.

I need a pump for a sump and tank setup

Tank will be 720 litres (2.0m x 0.6m x 0.6m)

Sump is 100 litres

head height for pump will need to be 1.5m min

sump will be fed via overflow pipes drilled into back of tank

My question is... what size return pump (pond pump) will i need? i.e litres/hr

What brands are good.

I'm wanting to also have the pump run 2 or maybe 3 return inlets to create the needed current in the tank to keep the waste moving up to the overflow. So what size return pipes will i need that will suit the pump so i don't get any loss in water pressure from having too big pipe of too many outlets?

Ive done heaps of research on sumps etc and got it all drawn down what I'm going to do but just a few final things i need to know so thought i would ask people that have these setups already.

I'd go with something like 1-2 Laguna PJ5000...Actually, I don't know if the still make them, but something in the 5000-6000 LPH range would work. I used one on my 300L marine, gave a good amount of current all around the tank.

Yea i was thinking a 500L/h would do the job

Is it fresh or salt water? It makes a difference to how much flow you want to run through the sump, and also a lot of the bigger pumps have metal parts (shafts, screws, etc) so can't be used in salt water.

its going to be a frontosa tank so freshwater. i just want enough flow to keep a good downward current towards the bottom to stir up the waste. and with 2-3 outlets it may slow down the flow...?

Was that a typo? I think even 5000L/h would be inadequate by the time you take the reduced flow from the 1.5m head. Depending on how heavily stocked the tank is you'd want 5-10 times turnover per hour IMO.

As for the brand, you get what you pay for, spending a but more now might save you a lot in the long run. I'll be buying Ehiem pumps from now on...

You're short a 0. 500 l/h filter probably wouldn't even have enough head to pump any water at all into the tank. You'd want a minimum of about 5 times an hour turnover at the tank, which would be 3750.