Giant Bully

Carlos & Siran

You guys have piqued my curiosity about natives so I decided to take a stroll tonight before it got too dark.

I chose the closest stream to the house and quickly discovered my gummies have holes in them, but, undeterred I lifted a rock and scooped with my net.

Success!, a couple little bullies and after a few moments realized I'd also gotten a small dead crayfish.

Egged on by my instant success I moved up the stream and scooped again...nothing.....nothing again, half an hour later I'd still found nothing else except for copious amounts of insect larvae (which I've since found out means we have a healthy creek) and was beginning to think I wasn't any good at this fishing malarkey after all, By then it was getting dark and I thought "one more and then home" I found a likely rock, quickly lifted and scooped and BINGO, a fish, and quite a big one too!, about 10cm or so. I gently put it in my bucket and brought it home for photos, which unfortunately came out horribly smeared and yuck. After I took it back I looked up a NZ native site to look for it and I think it must have been a giant Bully and according to said site it may have been a female as it had a very blunt square jaw.

Any who, that was what I got up to tonight, I think perhaps I discovered a new hobby.....TTFN

AWESOME!!!

I actually say in my book (not yet printed) that fish hunting is a great way to find holes in your gumboots ;)

I am going to be in Whangarei the last week of November (freshwater sciences conference). Would you like to take me fish hunting and I can give you some identifying pointers?

I *might* be able to tell what it is if you upload/email some blurry photos :)

Hi, sorry I'm late, my weekend off so I've been flat out organizing everything for relief milker.

Here's the pics, they really are terrible, especially the side on one, waste of time really, hopefully you can get an idea from the top view.

It was quite a solid little fish, green with motley brown and gold through, and uuuugly, but really cool......

2442469560060019373S500x500Q85.jpg

2202381430060019373S500x500Q85.jpg