So, I got the Oscar tank and have a few questions :)

bobo

Hi guys,

Thank you for your previous help.

My partner and I have got a 330l for our future Oscar. We realise that is under what some would have, but is also more than what others would...

1) The LFS said we wouldn't need to cycle the tank... true? They said with the fish being so small, in such a large tank, it would be unnecessary, just go light on the feeding and keep on adding stress zyme.

2) Our tap water comes out at pH 8-8.2. I was reading that Oscars aren't too fussy about pH; however, the fish would go through a bit of shock if it came from a lower pH store and was then dumped in our pH water. So I thought I would use chemicals to lower the pH to 7 or so (will ask the shop what they have their pH at), and then the fish will gradually acclimatise to the higher pH as we do water changes. Good idea or flawed thinking?

3) Do I need to add oxygen to the tank? I have never bothered before since my other tank is planted (a project that is on hold while I set this up).

Cheers in advance for your help!

Hi Bobo,

With regards to your questions:

1) I believe is correct. If its just the oscar in that huge tank, he will act as your cycling fish. The ammonia and nitrate levels wont get high enough to harm it. Just do your water changes as usual, and add stress zyme. If you have a test kit, test regularly just so you can see the cycle. If you plan on adding any more fish, add them some time apart so the bacteria colony can gradually increase once its done its initial cycle.

2) That can work. Personally id just put it straight in. Ive never tested LFS water which for all I know could be any PH and never had a problem.

3) No oxygen required so long as you have a good turnover of water via your filter. If you are concerned however, just have your spray bar below the surface pointing at an upward angle so it creates ripples in the surface and that should be sufficient.

Hope this helps, enjoy your O :)

Hi Bobo,

With regards to your questions:

1) I believe is correct. If its just the oscar in that huge tank, he will act as your cycling fish. The ammonia and nitrate levels wont get high enough to harm it. Just do your water changes as usual, and add stress zyme. If you have a test kit, test regularly just so you can see the cycle. If you plan on adding any more fish, add them some time apart so the bacteria colony can gradually increase once its done its initial cycle.

2) That can work. Personally id just put it straight in. Ive never tested LFS water which for all I know could be any PH and never had a problem.

3) No oxygen required so long as you have a good turnover of water via your filter. If you are concerned however, just have your spray bar below the surface pointing at an upward angle so it creates ripples in the surface and that should be sufficient.

Hope this helps, enjoy your O :)

Hehe... you da man :)

1) How deep would you have the sand? I just chucked 25kg in and it didn't go as far as I would have thought - maybe an inch deep for most of it. Will that suffice?

2) I am still tempted to add a Golden Sev, but think I could possibly regret it. If I did add one, should I wait a couple of weeks for the cycle to establish, and then add one of a similar size to the small Oscar?

3) Any ideas for layout? You seem to have a good eye... I have already put some black sand down. I was thinking of then getting quite a lot of wood in there, with a focal point maybe just left of centre. I was going to add some stones and try for a couple of plants, with the realisation he'll probably just tear em out.

4) Wood seems really expensive, which is really odd. You know of anywhere/one who sells it cheap?

I might post photos :)

Cheers mate

Hehe... you da man :)

1) How deep would you have the sand? I just chucked 25kg in and it didn't go as far as I would have thought - maybe an inch deep for most of it. Will that suffice?

2) I am still tempted to add a Golden Sev, but think I could possibly regret it. If I did add one, should I wait a couple of weeks for the cycle to establish, and then add one of a similar size to the small Oscar?

3) Any ideas for layout? You seem to have a good eye... I have already put some black sand down. I was thinking of then getting quite a lot of wood in there, with a focal point maybe just left of centre. I was going to add some stones and try for a couple of plants, with the realisation he'll probably just tear em out.

4) Wood seems really expensive, which is really odd. You know of anywhere/one who sells it cheap?

I might post photos :)

Cheers mate

Sand only needs to be enough to cover the bottom. Unless you are having plants, less is best. You will have to churn in all over by hand every now and then to release small pockets of gases that will build up. Leave it too long and the gas release will kill your fish. Once a month should be fine.

Personally id add a small sev, you wouldnt have any problems except maybe not getting along with the O.

Aquascaping with Oscars needs to be basic really - or be prepared to change it as the O grows. Id add some bits of low lying wood so the O will still have lots of swimming space when he grows, but in the meantime you can give them lots of hidy holes to play around in.

Dont get real plants. The oscar will uproot them and the sev will eat them!

I wouldve thought best places for wood would be like Pinepac or mitre 10 or somewhere?

Pics would be cool. Small Os are sooo cute!

Sand only needs to be enough to cover the bottom. Unless you are having plants, less is best. You will have to churn in all over by hand every now and then to release small pockets of gases that will build up. Leave it too long and the gas release will kill your fish. Once a month should be fine.

Personally id add a small sev, you wouldnt have any problems except maybe not getting along with the O.

Aquascaping with Oscars needs to be basic really - or be prepared to change it as the O grows. Id add some bits of low lying wood so the O will still have lots of swimming space when he grows, but in the meantime you can give them lots of hidy holes to play around in.

Dont get real plants. The oscar will uproot them and the sev will eat them!

I wouldve thought best places for wood would be like Pinepac or mitre 10 or somewhere?

Pics would be cool. Small Os are sooo cute!

Thanks again Morc - apreciate it :)

I will no doubt hassle you again over the next few days ;p

get some driftwood from a river or the beach if its already water logged and sinks its better than havinng a floater

If we grab it from the beach, do we need to worry about - pollution? We live in Te Atatu, or the Salt?

Also do we need to boil it or anything, to get rid of any chemicals - or can we go for fold and stick it in? I am an impatient soul...

Cheers spoon

I get my driftwood from the Hokitika beach. I just give it a good hose down and a light scrub with a nail brush (or toothbrush in the tight corners). The small amount of salt stuck in it should be negligible when added to the tank.

That's a wee bit of a drive ;p

The cleaning sounds good :)

Cheers again

I boiled the driftwood I put in my tank, it wouldn't sink prior to boiling, also letting it soak for about a week got rid of most of the tannins in it so it didn't turn my AS brown as it would have if I had just stuck it in. Keep in mind the wood I got was store bought. May very well be different in your case, as being off the beach it probably would've had a far amounting of soaking prior to you picking it up.