Paradise fish

gem_scott

Hi all,

Im a new paradise fish owner and i was wondering what the best temperature is for them. I have my one at room temperature and all alone. He seems to really want a friend though. Im calling it a he but i really dont know how to tell, i got him from Animates and i am unsure of age. He still has small fins but since iv had him there is a significant redening if his fins and stripes are appearing. He is about 3cms long.

How much water per fish? What is the best pH? Are they better with a friend? Are they happier warmer?

So basically what im asking is for any advice on keeping my new fishy happy and healthy.

Will post a picture of him when i get a good one so someone can sex him.

All advice is welcome!

Thanks!

• 7 months later...

generally paradise fish should be keep alone. You can keep them with other fish if your carefull but they certainally won't be friends! A male will fight another male paradise fish, and a male can hassle a female to death if she dosn't feel like breeding. I've never keept one in a heated tank, but they can live up to 28 degrees according to the book im looking at. They like plants and caves, and not too much current. I'm sure someone else will have some more experience than me though.

a fun thing you can do is place a small (clean) mirror in the tank for short periods of time (no more than 5mins i would say) and watch the fish display to the reflection. they will even change colour! I suspect males would be more interested in a reflection than a female.