Mangroves to reduce nitrates

chimera

I want to try using Mangrove's to control nitrates (I only have minute traces of Nitrates at 0.2ppm and 0ppm of phosphates - but I want to be proactive here) Is anyone using them? Everything I read about them says they are the most efficient "natural" way of removing nitrates from your tank. Anyone know where you can get seeds from? As per an article on the web:

Using mangrove plants to reduce and control nitrates in a saltwater aquarium is being discovered as an ecologically correct choice, because it is "natural", no chemicals or additives needed. Mangroves have the ability to survive and actually thrive in a saltwater environment. Their root cells have the unique ability to strain freshwater from saltwater, and they feed on nitrates and other organics they derive from aquarium water.

Albert Thiel was a fore-runner in the research of using the natural properties of the mangrove to filter nitrates and other toxins from a saltwater aquarium. When filtering with mangroves, you can actually remove the protein skimmer from your system after a period of time.

Not sure if I'd go as far as removing the skimmer though :D

Also, I have traces of diatom growth in my tank. I thought my brown algae was from silicates that may have come from the coral sand I purchased recently but I doubt it cause its always been around. Any ideas - especially since nitrates/phosphates are so low/non-existant?

Here's a good read up about Mangroves

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/nitratecontrol/a/aa072999_2.htm

The only post I could find on Mangroves here was this:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?t=2298

but it didn't say much. Anyone else?

Cos they grow comparatively slowly, they don't do a whole lot.

It's an idea that was dreamed up in the US because it is "natural", but it has fallen out of favour now.

When mangroves were being used, people had large purpose built shallow refugiums with a large number of mangroves, and good lighting. Some people had "rafts" floating, with the mangroves growing on it and roots dangling in the water. Because young mangroves would in nature be submerged at each high tide, the exposed leaves have to be sprayed with water daily. Only adult mangroves can withstand dry leaves 24/7.

Mangroves are an interesting idea, nothing wrong with having some, but will not produce miracles.

Yeah CISCO in .au tried running 12 mangroves for 6 months, made no difference. Switched to a suphor nitrate reactor and his problem was solved.

Lots of others just belive that its a waste of electricity. Cool idea, just doesn't work unless you have like 1 million mangroves or something :)

Pies

Xenia have been touted, but compete with other corals for some of the same nutrients. Macroalgae is an excellent way to do it, although what we have available in NZ are the caulerpas, which work but have some problems. The best macroalgae, chaetomorpha, is not available here.