whats a normal amount of babies for a swordtail

oO SKIPPY Oo

I got a wagtail from tracytrout about 3 weeks ago and she was looking pretty big then - she still hadnt dropped the fry today so i moved her to my nursery tank that might have been a bit warmer - she was in there about 30 mins and then bang out came 66 babies... is that a lot ? my other females have only dropped about 20 or so.

baby_swordtail_66.jpg

Tracys fish are always huge and healthy so thats normal if you get them from her otherwise they normally have less. I went through a stage where 5 of my huge female platys each had 70-110 babies each in about 3 days so I ended up with HEAPS of fry (tip to everyone else, don't think hey whats another 50 or so because you end up with 400 babies you have to feed and although alot won't make it a good 100 or two will :o )

Also good luck with raising your new babies :bounce: :bounce:

Tracys fish are always huge and healthy so thats normal if you get them from her otherwise they normally have less. I went through a stage where 5 of my huge female platys each had 70-110 babies each in about 3 days so I ended up with HEAPS of fry (tip to everyone else, don't think hey whats another 50 or so because you end up with 400 babies you have to feed and although alot won't make it a good 100 or two will :o )

Also good luck with raising your new babies :bounce: :bounce:

holy heck - thats a lot of mouths to feed :o what does tracey do to those fish :D

as long as i leave these little fullas in the nursery tank they should be fine - i have some indian fern for cover from the angels that are in there - my other swordy mum is going to drop soon too - i think i need another tank :)