Apisto's with lesions

ilah

Ok i have searched for an answer to this and have had no luck at all so hoping someone on here has had a similar experience. I have a pair of agassizi's and the female has a small white ulcer coming from her stomach region, she has had it for maybe a month now and she has slowly gone down hill, the male has developed a sort of raised line of scales vertically down the middle of one side of his body and now i have a female cockatoo that has started to develop a small white lump on her side. I have no idea what this could be and hoping it was bacterial i have treated all 3 with one dose of furan2 but it does not seem to be getting better. They are in a 50L hospital tank that receives a 10L water change every 2 days, i cant really think of anything else to say but will try and get some photos up to see what people think soon as possible but any comments would be very helpful, cheers :D

If its on both then something is wrong in the tank but the male does look more like a scrape, the female is more of a problem.

Start with what are the water conditions like? If they are wrong then fix them or any battle you win will be sort term.

Next clean your tank incase any uglies are hiding in the gunk. Remember that a bare bottom tank has no place for the good bacteria to grow so must be kept cleaner.

Furan -2 is pretty broad spectium so should be ok. Doxycycline and nitrofurazone are a bit harder to get but should also work well.

Might be an idea to try fluketabs or a 3 - 4ppm PP dip for 5 minutes if the above doesnt work.

BTW as above where did you get the agassizi? Lovely pair and hope they come right for you.

I only have run of the mill treatments you get from most pet shops, not sure where I would be able to get other antibiotics from, any tips? All 3 fishes bumps look slightly different which has stumped me further. I try to keep the tanks pretty clean with frequent water changes but il will start wiping the floor of the tank clean to see if that helps, would another dose of furan be worth a try? the stuff i had was sitting around for a while.

I got the agassizi from hollywood a while back and they are really nice fish, I'm hoping they come right to as they dont pop up that often.

The cockatoo is one i got off you bilbo, thanks for the help guys :wink:

I had the doxycycline from when I was prescribed it and then found out later it was good for fish so kept a few left over tablets apart from that you have to figure out what you need and try and convince a vet to prescribe it to you. Have you tried posting your pics on any other forums? Apistogramma.com or something like that might be good..

Those agassizi are very nice, he is almost a dead ringer from the one I got from redwoods (photos here http://fishkeepers.co.nz/forums/viewtop ... =18&t=1256) unfortunately I only managed to get one batch of eggs off them which hatched but I killed them, then I lost the male, have you bred yours at all yet? It is very hard to find ones that nice here, there seem to be alot of really boring ones coming through the wholesalers, our local animates had a heap in a while ago but alot of them had lumps and random things like what your ones have and they had no colour..