Quarantine - will this work?

stillnzcookie

Hi, I posted here a while back about some injured harlequin rasboras we had. Sadly we lost both fish, but we set up a hospital container for them, which I'm now wondering whether we can use as a quarantine tank for new fish.

It is a plastic container which holds 2L of water, and floats in the main tank (to keep it at the right temperature). To keep it stable in the main tank, it has a bit of gravel in the bottom, and a small plastic plant for shelter. It has a filter for a nano tank (can't remember brand, but it is basically an air pump which bubbles through the filter media - sponge and a bit of coral rock from the main filter). The filter has been running in the main tank for the last month or so.

SO, my questions are:

a) could I use this as a quarantine tank for some new harlequins (and maybe a couple of panda corys later on)?

b) if so, how long do I need to quarantine fish for? Two weeks? Three weeks?

c) how many fish could I have in there at a time? I would like to get 6 more harlequins, but I presume I couldn't get all 6 at once? When we used it as a hospital tank I did small water changes every couple of days, and I would plan to do small daily water changes this time, but I'm guessing 6 harlequins would still be far too crowded in only 2L of water?

We have always had a very understocked 60L tank, so we're looking forward to getting more fish! It currently only has 3 harlequins and 3 panda corys. I would like to get 6 more harlequins, then see how things go and maybe get another 2 corys later on if the tank is running smoothly.

Good on you for quarantining! Most people don't, and it is such a risk.

I always quarantine everything for at least two weeks, but that should be considered a minimum. Three or four weeks is better.

Last time I got new fish I quarantined for three weeks then dropped them in the main tank. I had looked so closely before I put them in, but the moment I did I realised they had the first visible sign of whitespot! I caught them as soon as possible but it was too late - the tank got a dreadful case of whitespot that took weeks to clear.

The moral of the story is it is worthwhile to quarantine, and the longer the better...

I can't comment on the species, but having a bubbler in there will help with oxygen levels, and the small waterchanges are good. Remember the surface area is as if not more important than volume.

the very first guppy I ever got developed a bad case of callamanus 3 weeks after I got it .. it was going into a tank without any fish so was unquarantined and must have come already infected from the LFS. But after that I have avoided LFS for my fish .. they are a last resort.. but i did get two platy from a LFS and quarantined them for 4 weeks. From now on, 4 weeks is my quarantine period for livebearers .. just to be sure.

I would tend to setting up a separate small tank if you can and if space is available. I would worry about cross contamination otherwise.. even a drop of water can spread worms around! Could so easily happen during a water change in the little floating 2L.