Terrarium window problem

Finn

Hi all, building a new frog terrarium going to be windowed on front and one side - I want to use some form of plastic for the windows (like Nova roof, but without the corrugations.

having trouble tracking down something suitable

any suggestions!

The window size is 1200mm x 700mm

Hi Finn,

Why Perspex...?

Perspex will scratch... is hard to clean and sterilize.. and a piece this size (1200mm x 700mm) in a reasonable thickness would probably cost twice what a sheet of glass would cost, and the glass will give you better clarity over the life of the terrainium.

Caddilac Plastics are online and are a major suppliers of Acrylics and Perspex.

Bill.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest glass too. Be VERY careful about chemicals that may be present on the glass when you get it. Wash it before you put it in and wipe it thoroughly again after the glue has cured.

I don't know what experience you have with frogs, so if you already have quite a bit of experience just skip the rest of this.

With frogs you have to be careful to avoid any cleansing agents, fertilisers (including fertiliser coming in in the soil of plant roots), paints, soap or chlorine in the tank. Unless you know for sure, treat everything as if it is deadly to them. Frogs are incredibly sensitive to many common household chemicals. Also avoid sharp edges or rough metal mesh.

Having said this, don't go over the top. You don't need to sterilise the soil. You don't have to boil a stick before you put it in like many people suggest. Some people seem to keep their frogs in a sterile environment, but for most frogs you're wasting your time for no benefit if you go overboard.

I personally put a layer of rinsed gravel from the garden centre on the bottom of the tank then covered it with soil from the garden, which hasn't been fertilised within living memory. I have 5 young whistling tree frogs in an 80L all-glass terrarium and grow things like ferns, mosses, a liverwort, a hornwort (NOT the flowering plant species which is banned in NZ, I mean 'hornwort' as in one of the whole family of primitive plants), and a few other moisture-loving plants. I have a glass lid and used two thick strips of soft plastic mesh to prevent them from escaping through the corner holes of the lid. The tank is lit with two 18W fluorescent power-saver bulbs in a DIY light fitting. So far this setup has been very successful.

Good luck with your frog-keeping.

Thanks for the info, I have kept frogs before , although not for a any length of time, I normally stick to fish.

The dimensions of my habitat are: 70cm x 70cm x 120cm High

Windowed with glass on 2 sides

I am unsure of lighting requirements, but am going to experiement with 2x double 18watt fluro fixtures with 4x phillips 865 18w tubes in them (on seperate switches incase its to much light!)