Bottom Feeders

Nymox

Well I think thats what they might be called anyway, those ones that cruise around cleaning up the messes left by other fish. Well what I want to know is, do they acually help keep the tank clean and free of algae?, or would I be better off with a few snails or something else?

My fighter is quite the timid little man so I dont want anything too big and scary, but a lil inside help in tank maintenance wouldnt be a bad thing.

Well I think thats what they might be called anyway, those ones that cruise around cleaning up the messes left by other fish. Well what I want to know is, do they acually help keep the tank clean and free of algae?, or would I be better off with a few snails or something else?

My fighter is quite the timid little man so I dont want anything too big and scary, but a lil inside help in tank maintenance wouldnt be a bad thing.

I have two in my tank and I find them pretty good

They are pretty good and mine try and stay away from the fish.

I also have snails in saying that tho.

Bottom feeders need food in their own right. They are not there just to scavenge others' leftovers. Some are better at it than others and many don't eat algae at all. They certainly do help keep the bottom of the tank clean. It is always good to have top, middle and bottom feeders in an aquarium. Snails often produce more waste than they eat and are prolific breeders!

Most small bottom feeders will not bother a Siamese fighter at all. Corydoras, bristlenoses and small loaches will be fine.

i keep a bristlebnose and 3 kuhli for my cleanup crew. But they also get their own sinking food every 2nd day and the BN loves vege once or twice a week. The BN eats most algae and I also have a couple of snails (trumpet for the gravel, ramshorn for the glass and plants) to get the rest.

Bottom feeders need food in their own right. They are not there just to scavenge others' leftovers. Some are better at it than others and many don't eat algae at all. They certainly do help keep the bottom of the tank clean. It is always good to have top, middle and bottom feeders in an aquarium. Snails often produce more waste than they eat and are prolific breeders!

Most small bottom feeders will not bother a Siamese fighter at all. Corydoras, bristlenoses and small loaches will be fine.

Cool Im going down for a look now, might avoid snails due to the breeding then and the waste issue. Thanks alot :D