How do you change gravel in a tank of fish?

js

Hi there

My tank currently has very large stones/pebbles and I want to change it over for smaller gravel so it will be easier for my plants to grow (and also tonight I came home and found one of my platies stuck between them and the glass - I thought she was dead but when I went to pick her out she swam away), so that has totally convinced me to put smaller gravel in.

Can I do this with the fish still in the tank? I will have to lift out all driftwood and plants, but hopefully putting the new gravel in will be okay?

Have neons, guppies, platys, bristlenose and sterbai - 60 x 30 x 30 tank.

Thanks

Hi there

My tank currently has very large stones/pebbles and I want to change it over for smaller gravel so it will be easier for my plants to grow (and also tonight I came home and found one of my platies stuck between them and the glass - I thought she was dead but when I went to pick her out she swam away), so that has totally convinced me to put smaller gravel in.

Can I do this with the fish still in the tank? I will have to lift out all driftwood and plants, but hopefully putting the new gravel in will be okay?

Have neons, guppies, platys, bristlenose and sterbai - 60 x 30 x 30 tank.

Thanks

The big problem is all the much that will get stirred up removing the old gravel and dust from the new gravel. You can scoop out the gravel if you want and then very gently set the new gravel in(Like in bags or something opened once it's at the bottom) But I think you'd be better off removing the fish and as much water as practical and putting them in a big bucket or another tank while you do it.

Yep washing will save you some time.

Its actually quite an easy job to do, you dont even have to remove all the old gravel if you dont want to, you can leave half of it in, and put some new stuff on top - less work removing the old stuff, less $ buying new stuff :wink:

:o Ira, have you made a spelling mistake? Surely not. I'll assume you're conserving the letter l for another word :wink:

Either I'm conserving the top right arm of the letter "k" to be used in a ' or there was some freakish internet problem that corrupted by post...I'll let you decide.

Either I'm conserving the top right arm of the letter "k" to be used in a ' or there was some freakish internet problem that corrupted by post...I'll let you decide.

:lol: :lol: :hail:

I'm putting it down to a freak internet problem 8)

Muck or mulch...it's all the same to me :D