Stand for Large Tank

Jasmine

The cheapest material to use will be mdf, i would make the frame out of 100x50 wall framing timber & clad it with MDF & paint it. anything painted will scratch & possibly deteriorate quickly if not looked after though like anything else.

If you can, use plywood instead of MDF, it is alot stronger & won't soak up anywhere near as much moisture as MDF but is also 3 times the price. MDF will absorb moisture, it is not pourous so will hold it & go "fluffy" & will continue to deteriorate over time so depending on how careful you are (we all get water on the stand from time to time whether it be drips or larger spills) you may need to replace panels in a couple of years which may also require emptying the tank & taking it off so maybe best to spend a bit more now & save hassle in the future. When i started i bought jebo heaters as they were cheap, after two years all the thermostats stopped working so i have replaced them all. I did get 1 second hand jager heater when i started & i have never had a problem with it & it still goes well, they cost alot more but really it is worth it getting good equipment first time if you can. :)

here is DIY stand instructions that will help

http://cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_stand.php

you can get a water resistant MDF, I forget what it's called, MUF of sumit like that, not sure what it's like for price, but ask around, someone will know what you mean eventually.

The flat face of MDF will be OK as long as it's well painted and you wipe it dry straight away, it's the cut edges that's the real problem, they soak up moisture like a sponge. you may find if you seal the edges with a poly or even a two pot epoxy it will water proof it. Maybe even lots of coats of paint will help. our hood has swollen up like weetbix where the water has been evaporating.

If you paint and polyurethane the mdf properly it will be waterproof and you won't need to worry about it falling to pieces. :)

thats right, until you scratch it or constant wear takes off the sealer. The same theory applies to modern kitchen cabinetry, the PVC edges shouldn't let water in but we all know they do. theres no cost effective, perfect product (there is 1 but sooo expensive) for getting wet or preventing water damage, just some are better than others. I have a stand that has the plastic foil wrapped doors & panels which is very good at keeping the water out as there is only the back edge can get water in but it's not a perfect situation.

you can get a water resistant MDF, I forget what it's called, MUF of sumit like that, not sure what it's like for price, but ask around, someone will no what you mean eventually.

its called MDF HMR (High moisture resistant) but its not that good, i made so many kitchens out of it for HNZC & they still swell etc, it just takes a little longer.

When I was working for Kitchens by Kevin in Kerikeri, everything was made of MDf and painted in 2 pot lacquer and we found it out lasted meltica and tape easily, as moisture eventually makes it's way between the tape, but with a good hard lacquer it can't get in. Bit pricey for the average Joe though.

yeah & the people who spend that sort of coin tend to look after their stuff more to in general. I was with Pat Gavins for 8 years. At the end of the day if you take care of what you have it will last longer than if you don't.

^ I guess you missed the thread where the OP is concerned about the weight of the tank on the floor...

I'm with mystic, don't be a tight... and put your fish/tank/carpet etc at risk with a dodgy stand. If you've never built a stand before then you probably shouldn't be messing around learning how to do it with something that has to support ~800kg and distribute it evenly over the structure of your floor. The steel stand for my 800L 6' tank cost around $600 including powder coating and delivery, its dead level and plenty strong enough to support the weight. IMO its a small price to pay when I've invested over $2k in the set up (stand included) and have a similar value of fish in there. Go see Hollywood and see what it would cost to have one made for your tank.