what wool do you use for a spawning mop?

Zayne

Wrap the wool multiple times around a book. Thread a separate bit of wool through one end and tie in a knot to hold all the threads together in a bunch. Cut through the threads at the other end and you have a mop. Tease out the individual strands of ply to make it bushier. :wink:

Wrap the wool multiple times around a book. Thread a separate bit of wool through one end and tie in a knot to hold all the threads together in a bunch. Cut through the threads at the other end and you have a mop. Tease out the individual strands of ply to make it bushier. :wink:

that sounds easy enough, I'll give it a try. Thanks Caryl :lol:

i rinse mine with hot water from the kettle a few times before using them, to make sure any dye/chemicals from the factory are washed out properly and then they sink.

Also don't be clever and tie a longer peice of wool on to loop over the side of the tank for pulling it out, they can siphon the water out :o

i rinse mine with hot water from the kettle a few times before using them, to make sure any dye/chemicals from the factory are washed out properly and then they sink.

Also don't be clever and tie a longer peice of wool on to loop over the side of the tank for pulling it out, they can siphon the water out :o

:lol: Twinkles, I won't ask you how you know this!

Mine are various colours (dark brown, black, dark green) fake fur-style! By this I mean each strand has lots of other fluffy strands coming off it. I really like the way it looks in my tank, to the extent that I wrapped some of my filter hoses in the green stuff to disguise them!

Make sure the 'wool' is 100% polyester. I have had my mops for years and I boil them to sterilise them with no ill effects.

I have been playing. Note I had to use green gardening twine as I currently do not have any wool :wink:

Pretend it is acrylic wool ok? 8)

First, wrap the wool around a book. Size depends on how long you want your mop to be (and how deep the tank)

DSC09564.jpg

Then tie a knot at one end

DSC09565.jpg

Not personal experience - i read somewhere once about a tank being half emptied from someone doing that and saved it in my memory :wink:

I can see it happening, one of my tanks is hard to reach into so i peg a string onto the top edge to pull it out, and its always wet at the top. I just let mine sit on the bottom, they fluff up quite high and the killies i have seem to like them there.