Cross Breed...?

si_sphinx

The trouble lies in the fact that once they're out of the breeders hands there's no saying what will happen with them. They or their offspring may end up in someones tank who has no idea where they came from originally, all they'll know is that they were sold some fish called a Lemon Zebra so that's what they'll say they are and that's what they'll sell them as, with no mention or knowledge of the fact they're not pure.

i didn't think that pseudotropheus could breed with Labidochromis

I've had a similar discussion on a Cichlid forum in relation to Aulonocara breeding with Metriaclima and theoretically any mouth breeder could breed with another.

i didn't think that pseudotropheus could breed with Labidochromis

Ps. is the old name for them, but yes Metriaclima or Maylandia (zebra) species can and will cross with other mbuna species... A very common example which is prevalent world wide is the red zebra x yellow which usually shows itself as a red zebra with a funny shaped head or an electric yellow that is slightly the wrong shape and usually has no black markings on fins.

There is a very indept discussion on these fish and others opinions here..

http://fishkeepers.co.nz/forums/viewtop ... =18&t=1235

Personally I wouldn't keep or sell them but that is just me, most other people who keep africans don't really care what they have or what they sell and usually start off with hybrids from random petshop tanks anyway. At least these guys are honest about what they have, there are plenty of hybrid africans out there that people have given proper names to these are the ones that will cause more problems.