DIY CO2 Questions

I just wanted to know a few things about DIY CO2. I'm going to use a 60ltr tank and I'm going to make a bubble counter but I just wanted to know how many bubbles per minute there should be? Also would one 1.25ltr bottle be enough for a tank this size or should I have two?

Also would one 1.25ltr bottle be enough for a tank this size or should I have two?

I'm running one 1.25L bottle on my 54L and it's flying along. Got four 18w tubes over it (no special plant growth tubes) and I have a serious algae problem. I don't have a bubble counter but they seem to be popping out very frequently, the pH dropped from above 7.5 to below 6 in under a week and has stayed at that level. But my plants have produced visible O2 bubbles for the first time ever so I'm stoked.

So unless you're running decent lighting, don't CO2.

Thanks Sam. So you think 1 bottle will be enough. I'll be running about 80Ws of light so that should be enough light. I'll also be dosing with flourish as well as using CO2 so should hopefully have good plant growth.

Does anyone know how many bubbles per minute there should be?

Oh OK. I just thought that having both flourish (it's just the normal flourish not flourish exel) and CO2 will give lots of different types of nutrients as on the back of the bottleof flourish it doesn't say it has any carbon in it. Not totally sure at this point what lights I'll use. Will 2 normal desk lamps shining down from the top into the tank work or does it need to be a proper full length tank light?

Dosing with Flourish (a fertiliser) will be fine. Dosing with Flourish Excel (a source of bio-available carbon) is not necessary as the CO2 will do that job.

I just saw this post. Yeah it's not the exel just the normal flourish so it should be fine.

As far as i'm aware, you want 1 - 2 bubbles per second, but if any one else knows a better rate please say so :D

Really. Thats alot of bubbles.

I was just going to try and get the mixture of yeast, sugar and water right so it's a good amount of CO2 being produced. In the beggining I won't have any fish in the tank for a while until the plants grow and the fish are ready to go in there so I should have a few months to get the right mixture.

Haha, this all seems so technical!

I just sealed up the lid of a soda bottle with some airline in it, checked it, chucked it on the filter outlet and let it bubble away. Platy doesn't seem to mind and the Rams 'n' Ottos seem unaffected.

Sorry missed the DIY part of the title, as for how many bubbles i said- thats what I was told to use. Thats why I said

As far as i'm aware, you want 1 - 2 bubbles per second, but if any one else knows a better rate please say so :D

Haha, this all seems so technical!

I just sealed up the lid of a soda bottle with some airline in it, checked it, chucked it on the filter outlet and let it bubble away. Platy doesn't seem to mind and the Rams 'n' Ottos seem unaffected.

Lol. I'm just using a normal 1.25ltr bottle that has a lid that I was using for hatching BBS with a bit of airline tubing that goes into a little clear container that has some water filled to about 3/4s of the way up so I can see the bubbles going into the water. The another bit of airline goes from that little container onto a diffuser that will go into the tank. It sounds more complicated than it really is.

Sorry missed the DIY part of the title, as for how many bubbles i said- thats what I was told to use. Thats why I said

:oops: sorry. I just thought that thats quite a few bubbles