JBL Test Kits

lduncan

Anyone use JBL test kits? I've tried the calcium one and it seems very similar to the Salifert ones. I needed a new kit quickly, and it's hard to find Salifert ones down here at the moment, so I tried the JBL one, and it seems very good. Unfortunately it is more expensive than the salifert ones, but you can get refill packs , so you're not paying for the spoon, and vial every time. Don't know how much they are though.

Has anyone tried any of their other kits?

Layton

JBL have a very good reputation in freshwater (I have a JBL c02 system and its tops).

Red Sea? The Red Sea kits i have tried are, ummmmm, well, not very good. Steve do they have new kits now?

I like the idea of buying refils, sounds like a little saving and 'pro planet' at the same time.

Save the trees.

Pie

I Have JBL test kits for my freshwater tank and find it excelent, I have aquarium pharmasuticals tests for my saltwater tank and they seem ok but i haven't ever tested with 2 tests to check accuracey

I also have JBL dab sticks (does PH, KH, GH, NO2, NO3 & NH3/NH4 on one stick) for my freshwater tank, These are expencive and very unaccurate I use them for a general idea of how things are going if I am too bussy to do a full set of tests

Has anyone noticed any difference in the readings between the JBL and Salifert, specifically for Calcium and KH. I ran out of the Salifert and couldn't find a quick replacement, so I went with the JBL since I had heard such good things about them. I recently got new batches of the Salifert and noticed that the readings are consistently higher for Salifert than JBL for both KH and Calcium. I don't have my log here and can't remember specifically for KH, but the Calcium readings differ consistently by about 35-40, e.g. 380 (JBL) and 420 (salifert). Has anyone noticed the same? Could I be stuffing up the measurement process? It seems pretty straight forward though, especially for the JBL. The Salifert has this explicit timing of the swirl, but still seems pretty obvious.

I have comparied my Salifert to my redset and they are pretty close. I do notice that if I test the salifert test 2 or 3 times in a row the results are always the same, the redsea does have a little discrepency. My Hagen test kit however its not the best. It would be better to use a magic 8ball "is my calcium ok?" *shake* "maybee". hrmmmm.