Which filter for tank with 2 goldfish

oneeyedfrog

Hi,

Just got a new ( 2nd hand) tank 120 x 46 x 57 for DD 2 goldfish. It came with ug filters , an older Fluval 404 ( needs new aquastart and possibly impeller) and a sump filled with bioballs. See picsump.jpg

The tank will be in the bedroom so would like it to be as quiet as I can get it. Though DD sez she just gets used to the noise of the other 3 tanks and isn't worried about noise.

I worry that canister filters fail they have the potential to drain the tank.

The tank has an overflow box (?) in the corner with a hole thru the back of the tank a couple of inches up from the bottom. Could I block the hole and use this box as some sort of internal filter as it has pretty much the same volume as the fluval?

How would I use this sump properly?

Which filter would you go for?

Thanks for your advice

if you already have a canister filter i would go with that, i dont really see how if a canister filter fails it will drain your tank unless you didnt secure the spray bar/ damage the canister.

i suppose you could have the intake to the cannister filter in the overflow area and the spray bar in the tank itself. for the bedroom i wouldnt try bothering with a sump as i think theyre a bit tricky to get quiet

JMO