The hairgrass project (Updates on page 3)

SamH

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about platinum, looks pretty blue to me :) his finnage goes a nice bright turquoise in light. Will get some good pics of him as soon as hes out of captivity for good - should be this week when the oscar gets his tank setup.

at the moment the bettta is a bit bigger than the biggest full grown male ive had, and this guys only a few months old! cant wait until hes full grown at 4'' 8)

• 2 months later...

Today the tank was looking a bit neglected so I removed my fighter, scrubbed off the algae on most of the glass, removed the filter and moved the heater. Also, now one rock is lying flat and the other is gone. Water is a bit cloudy at the moment, will take more photos when the fish is back in.

Before:

IMG_4977.jpg

After:

IMG_4978.jpg

• 1 month later...

So it's been nearly 3 months since I last updated this. Since then the fighter has passed on and the tank is now empty of everything except the light. The grass has become much thicker but now I've decided I'd like to rescape.

IMG_5185.jpg

IMG_5187.jpg

IMG_5188.jpg

IMG_5186.jpg

I'm considering selling the grass and/or tank so if anyone is interested in either please give me a PM or Email.

Thanks!

Glosso- Unruly, algae infested

Heater- Bi-metallic strip sticks and cooks the shrimp who don't need a heater anyways

Good Rocks- Not in NZL!

Substrate- Too much nutrients leads to algae bloom

Native Shrimp- For dinner because you cooked them with that cheap heater

CO2- OD kills shrimp, not enough and the plants suffer

Ferts- Too little or too much lead to problems

T5HO- Too much lighting lead to more algae problems

Water- Too hard, too soft.

Not so easy now.

Lets have a competition to see who can 'scape the best. Get one of these 40x25x27 tanks or similar.

Lets have a competition to see who can 'scape the best. Get one of these 40x25x27 tanks or similar.

Hmm... there's a 51x26x25 on TM locally....Should I, shouldn't I?

Mind you, it took me weeks to find the right rocks for my last tank :-?

You going to start from scratch, Sam? :wink:

Shouldn't you be encouraging the current tank competition Zev? :lol: We should have a tank of the month comp too! :wink:

Once I sell the grass (hairgrass that is) I'll rip it right down, get a bit more sand and a heap of rocks. My biggest fault lies in weak hardscape. :oops:

I wasn't supposed to stick a heater on the list :oops:

and CO2+Ferts+light= good growth, healthy plants and hopefully healthy shrimp :D

I might be thinking about getting a 60x30x30 tank depending on how much the T5HO glo fixture is at the shop.....