Best fish to Breed for feeders

bulldogod

Don't know about Auckland but here you can be prosecuted for removing mosquito fish from the wild or for keeping them. (It does make sense to make use of them tho) I have often heard of them being used as feeders for larger fish. I keep leopard fish and use excess for feeders for my ornate bichir. They live and thrive in my turtle pond which is heated to about eighteen degrees.

Heated pond hell yeah :hail: Get mountain clouds

I have never seen the mosquito fish down here CHCH. Does the frost kill them? Gold fish are the way to go in a child's $99 pool in summer. That's what I would do bulk feeders. Or if imside how about brichardi cichlids? And if was feeding little mouths guppies in a bare foot long tank with moss and a mincie bubbler. :lol:

Heated pond hell yeah :hail: Get mountain clouds

I have never seen the mosquito fish down here CHCH. Does the frost kill them? Gold fish are the way to go in a child's $99 pool in summer. That's what I would do bulk feeders. Or if imside how about brichardi cichlids? And if was feeding little mouths guppies in a bare foot long tank with moss and a mincie bubbler. :lol:

they're mainly in Northern NZ where the temps don't drop too low.. they are also more aggressive at warmer temperatures and hence are a big risk to inanga by ripping their tails off and depopulating the inanaga.

Gold fish, and all carp in fact, are lousy feeders, something to do with something in them that stops thyamine (???) being absorbed. Do a search on MFK about it, there was a lot of discussion recently.

BDG, the ornate and oscars shouldn't need feeders, and the dat should be able to be pellet trained if its small.