Anubias barteri var. barteri

Derek

Can anyone tell me the colour of this plants flower? Is it variable?

I presently have a submersed flower on this plant but the anther is white. The watercolour at the Tropica site shows it to be yellow/orange although another watercolour of Anubias barteri var. nana appears to have a cream coloured anther. Does it start out white and the yellow/orange colour appear latter as the pollen matures, or does this colour difference identify it is another plant / variety?

I am sure that this plant is not A. b var. nana as I have this plant growing alongside the flowering one under identical conditions and its leaves are smaller, as you would expect. I also have an emersed plant of Anubias barteri var. nana with an unopened flower spike and the flower on that plant is definately smaller as well.

Cees, if you want to pop round and take some photos, let me know.

Hi Derek I just went to see if I had a pic for you but I dont sorry.

Is this the true A.barteri var barteri you have ?

I have a small section of this true one but I have just moved and built a whole new plant room and this plant has only just been re-planted again.

Good to have you back Paul. Where have you shifted to?

I dont know for certain if this is the "true" A.barteri var barteri. I believe A.b. var barteri can be very variable in form. Do you know what characteristics to look for in the flower which would identify a plant as A.b. var barteri as opposed to someother variety.

Looking at the Tropica site the only other Anubias that is somewhat similar is Anubias heterophylla, although going by the watercolour this plant has brighter green leaves. Not that that is anything to go by.

I also have what I assume is Anubias barteri var. angustifolia, although again the tropica site mentions that it grows 10-15cm high. In emmersed growth mine has leaves (including petiole) 30-35cm long.

I have not moved far only to Feilding I needed a bigger section and a bigger plant room.

This new set up will be good only prob is that its going to take a couple of years to get it how I want, looks like I have lost 3 sp of plants :( but considering what I have had to go through in moving all my stuff I guess its not bad two I can replace its only the Crypt lingua that might be hard if my back ups don't have it any more.

I think the whole Anubias family needs a major sort most of the time its only guess work as to what we think we have and that depends on what referance we use anyway, I don't use Tropica's data base quite a few others are available that I consider superior.

As for characteristics well I can think of none that you could use as a pin point unlike crypts :-? I only have to look at my nana and with the same plant I have seen it with white flowers and green and pale green/yellow etc and even size varies.

What I consider to be the true one or what we can call it as being anyway has broader leaves and bigger than the nana but not as big as the Gigantea. This is not easy using words to describe a plant lol if cees calls around to your place a pic will be helpful but even then its not easy you can see mine in my plant profiles but I have not added a flower pic guess it just slipped my mind when I had the chance.

That sample pic was growing submersed I am now growing it emersed to see if the form changes only time will tell I guess.

Give me some time and then my place will be worth a good look when you are up this way it's a a sad sight at the moment.