filters on top of tank

aaron11

Hi I have 2 tanks with the filters on the top, one had the media in it but I dont buy the cartridges I just put filter wool in there, the other one has no meida and just the wool

Do i have to have the media and the cartridges that come with it as they are expensive.

Can i just use wool?

ta :o

a few of my guppies carked it but i had them over a yh and they were adults when I got them

PS adodge I have some really nice tux guppies and some blonde ones with neon yellow tails

:D thanks what did my babies u took came out like

and i didnt want to tell you but my fighter died I was so upset i cried

i did everything you said he got fat then just boom went down to the bottom and that was it. I burried him, i took the water st8 to the pet shop and it was perfect so I dunno what was wrong with him,

I got a tux guppie thats half back or that colour u know what i mean and he has a checkered tail black and white, I was horried when i went back to the pet store where i took the others 2 and seen some the same im sure they were mine lol they were 15 bucks each 2 !!!!!!

have your guppies had babies?

i miss my figther oh i got one play baby im hoping its a white one !!!!!

adodge was it my fault? my platy got that ages ago 2

im gonna get a real grunty filter for that tank when i can afford it

I just cleaned out the trutle i put some plants in there hen and chicken coz im over run with those wonder if he eats them lol

:o

Hi I have 2 tanks with the filters on the top, one had the media in it but I dont buy the cartridges I just put filter wool in there, the other one has no meida and just the wool

Do i have to have the media and the cartridges that come with it as they are expensive.

Can i just use wool?

What size tanks are we talking about?

Also, what sort of 'media' are you talking about - carbon or noodles?

Just trying to get an idea of what sort of tanks you are talking about.

Noodles don't 'expire' despite what the tank instructions say, just give them a rinse in tank water (in the bucket when you do a water change) if you notice the flow on the trickle bit is slowing down too much, same with the wool bit - probably more the wool thing getting clogged up more than the noodles.

You don't need to wash the noodles every week, this is probably more detrimental to the good bacteria than them getting slightly clogged up.

Same with the 90litre and the coarse sponge, but if there is space, you could put some noodles in there as well.

Just keep an eye on your stocking levels if you are having trouble as well.

zev thanks so much i will get some noodles for the 90 ltr one just keep forgetting.

i change the wool about every 2 weeks its gets so dirty nearly black

as these filters just as good as interenal ones i took my fluval one out

You can just wash the wool out instead if changing it all the time, just squeeze it out in the water change bucket provided it hasn't gone so slimy that you cannot get it clean... ahem, speaking from experience here :wink:

It is possibly best not to clean the noodles and the wool in the same week in case you nuke the bacteria in both, but in saying that, when I do my external Fluvals, I can't be bothered opening them up too often and do rinse both.