Algae

sewelld

Hi

Is it normal to have quite a build up of green spot algae in the tubes which the air stones sit in?

There is also quite a bit on the plants and stones. I did have quite a few snails, but these seem to have all died out... Should I get some more to keep this algae under control?

Thanks

tank size is 600mmx300mmx300mm.

Tank setup is quite new, so I have about 6-7 young plants. 2 airstones at both back corners. Carbon filter.

Fish are 2 bristlenose plecos, 4 neon tetra 3 male fantail Guppies and 6 glowlight tetras.

I did have a good quantity of snails which came in with the plants, but they seem to have died out, I can only find 1 or 2 around the tank, and there are no eggs around now.

We feed once a day, either flakes, bloodworm or a pellet.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm thinking about getting some more plants and snails, possible with red ramshorn or malaysian trumpet.

Dave

In a newish tank it's definitely normal to get algae - it can take quite some time for the whole system to get settled and for the plants to get fully established. I suspect that adding more plants will be a good thing - it will help to absorb any excess nutrient in the water and therefore the algae won't find it as easy to thrive.

You didn't mention what kind of plants you have - it's good to make sure you have some quick-growing stem plants that take the nutrient straight from the water, rather than slower growing plants that feed from the substrate.

I have always found bristlenoses to be excellent algae-cleaners so I'm a little surprised you would find a lot of algae in a tank that size with two bns. On the other hand I still don't think it's anything to worry about - just keep up good maintenance (water changes etc) and it should all turn out fine. :)