Figure 8 Puffers

yarimochi

Hiya,

I have two f8s. They have been in freshwater since i bought them about 4 months ago. They havent been doin so well to be honest. They havent grown at all and their colour isnt as bright as it should be. I feel pretty guilty about keeping them in my freshwater tank and would like to give them to someone with a brackish tank. But before I do that I was wondering wether f8s can be kept in full marine? Or is it just green spots? I am going to convert my tank to saltwater and would really like to keep my f8s.

F8s need a SG of about 1.005-1.008. They can go up to 1.012 Marine is from about 1.018. F8s can't live in full marine. GSPs can, but they need much more space.

Remember, when raising your SG, do it by no more than 1.002 a week. Your filter needs time to adapt from fresh to salty bacteria.

When you say they haven't been doing well, what do you mean?

you dont need a really huge tank to keep them why not buy a small tank and put in a divider and have the best of both worlds. i have been told by people if you can get them to feed ur doin well im not sure but i get the feeling that they are slow growing as well

F8s need at least 40l each, if you have two they need at least 6

0l, but would do better in 100l because they do not handle ammonia or other nasties. They can also get quite aggressive, that's why a bigger tank is better.

F8s are quite easy to keep if you have the right tank for them; clean water, and lots of things to look at and explore in their tanks as they're very smart and get aggressie and destructive if they aren't entertained.