Cloudy patches on Clown Loaches

Dan

Hi i have just noticed that my 3 clown loaches have cloudy white patches on then (covering most of thier sides) looks like rubbing but it is on all three of them. otherwise they are ok.

Is this some disease?

• 4 weeks later...

used melafix and seemed to clear it up over a few days, but now have moved and the cloudy patches are back. It looks like its from laying about on the bottom of the tank but not sure. it dosent seem to be bothering them though, just dosent look very nice. I will try the Mellafix again

used melafix and seemed to clear it up over a few days, but now have moved and the cloudy patches are back. It looks like its from laying about on the bottom of the tank but not sure. it dosent seem to be bothering them though, just dosent look very nice. I will try the Mellafix again

I would suggest getting a more definite diagnosis before treating them again.

As far as I know, clown loaches don't get cloudy patches from lying around on the substrate. Heater burn is one possibility, if they squeeze into a small space between the heater and the glass (for example). Is there any sign of the skin flaking or looking any different around the 'cloudy' area?

How long have you had your loaches and how big are they? Is it possible this is just the greaying-out that they do when they are testing dominance with each other? Are you familiar with how that looks?

Please give as much info as you can, and if possible include some photos. It would also help to know more about your tank:

- what size is the tank?

- what other fish do you have in there?

- what filtering system are you using?

- what is the water temperature?

- how long has the tank been set up in its current location with its current occupants?

- have you tested the water for the presence of ammonia and/or nitrites?

- have you changed anything about the tank recently (for example thoroughly cleaning the filter, adding new fish, plants or decor)?

I have clown loaches of my own and I would be very sad if they got sick so I'm keen to help yours to get better. Any info you can provide would help.

I also think as a starting point you need identify the problem. Until then, increase the water changes, but be really careful about chlorine in the water which could potentially aggravate the problem.

There's not much point putting chemicals in the water unless you know what you're treating; it's stressful for the fish and is a big waste of money.