oscar aggression help.

melrick1

I had two tiger oscars and a week later got another two however the original two are aggressive towards them. They have been together for a week and no change....

how would I stop this aggression?

I was thinking of taking them out of the tank for a bit, and rearanging it so it seems like a new tank to all of them. this would make neautral territory for all of them and stop it...

would this work???

anyone had experience with this before????

I know re-arranging the aquascape is what people recommend when introducing new fish to a malawi tank... never kept oscars so can't really say for them. I'm sure its worth the try - it certainly puts a dampener on your hobby when one/some of your fish are being mercilessly attacked!

they are still young, i tryed changing the tank around and taking them out but but no luck so far...

they are in a 1.2m tank so space isnt an issue. I might have to take the aggressor out full stop if things dont get better.

just sad seeing the others hiding at the bottom till there is food to be had.

This just sounds like cichlid aggression to me sounds like the bigger bossier one is throwing his weight around.. Plus having 4 oscars in a 4ft tank wouldn't help matters there isn't enough room for them to each have their own space or places to hide, most people I know keep a pair in a 5-6ft+ tank..

• 3 months later...

yea i have two in mine and its pretty cosy

th_IMG_7356.jpg

but im guessing yours are pretty young. i can only suggest breaking up line of sight in the tank and making several hiding holes. the largest is always going to dominate the smaller, keep them well fed. when i introduced the smaller one to that ^ guy i put the big guy in a chilli bin with a heater for a week at least before the new guy got some backbone. now they are inseparable.

they are in a 1.2m tank so space isnt an issue.

How big are the oscars? Space might not be an issue now but it will be soon.

I'd suggest removing the aggressor for a couple of days and adding some dither fish, rainbows, giant danios, etc.

1200. hes happy as pushes his driftwood etc round and cleans a rock with his/her new mate. im over gravel bottoms. i change 60% every week and it keeps it nice and clean like that, otherwise its the colour of tea in a couple days. look how breeders do it. its the only way to have something that big in a tank this size. i will probably upgrade to a 6foot in a few months when i get my own house anyway.

also just noticed that i dragged up and old post. sorry.