Breeding Platies

humvee

Hi

I recently got some platies from my lfs, with the plan of breeding them. I'm just wondering how to tell when they are pregnant - not expecting anything yet as I've only had them 2 days but noticed a dark spot near the anal fin of the yellow one - help anyone??

platies.jpg

(Sorry about the photo - still working out best way to photograph fish that move way too fast)

Platies are almost as bad as guppies. If it is female it is probably pregnant :lol:

They can drop fry every 4 - 6 weeks. When due they are very fat and you can see the black spot you noticed. On pale fish you can sometimes see the eyes of the fry through the body. :o

Platies are almost as bad as guppies. If it is female it is probably pregnant :lol:

They can drop fry every 4 - 6 weeks. When due they are very fat and you can see the black spot you noticed. On pale fish you can sometimes see the eyes of the fry through the body. :o

Well this one is quite a bit fatter than the other female that I got .....

Looks like I might have some random babies earlier than expecting. I am planning to develop some stronger colours for the ones I got ... will have to wait and see cause she was in a tank with a whole heap of others (who knows which male was out of control)

Guess this will give me some more time to find a mate with similar colours to her...

Thanks for your help