My Fighter Stock

nycnlo

my hubby reckons we get a large glass tank and partition it off for keeping males. not sure where he thinks we will put a filter adn heater tho. but sounds like a cheaper idea.

yup from what ive looked at .. a partitioned tank be the best for space etc for them

a decent tank you could have many seperate cells in there..

make sure your filter system cuts the mustard tho , if your tank big enough a external filter prob be best , in at one end of tank out at other... flowing thru multiple holes in the chambers...remember to keep water flow down as much as possible, and have a small chamber with heater in also that water cycles over :)

ive got a few ideas for when i get more space etc to get hardout into breeding

it sounds like a damn good idea. we have a caravan that he wants to fill with fighters, he wasnt keen but then he saw the first male and was in love, then a new 3 month old male we have got is red and blue and blowing nests already...hes in love with them thinks they are cool.

was thinking of just having a few holes in the tops of the partitions that way the water flow wouldnt bug the fish too much, or should i have holes all over the partitions??

thanks for the help

fishbreeder: id aim for more volume rather than flow...

ie id be using lots of smaller holes etc thru the partitions rather than one or two larger ones

that way get a better mix of h2o and keep a constant slow flow thru all chambers and constant velocity

its more for keeping water clean and even temperature more than anything

or you could expiriment making a underwater gravel filter type setup. where the return back into the tank is from below the gravel at bottom of tank and feeding water thru a distibutor pipe at the top.. similar to the aqua one setup .

this is what il be trying to get going properly for my fighter setup if i get around to it

Kris

Some piks of the better ones from the first Spawn of the yellowhalfmoon male

Had aprox 100fry

pretty much everone threw red.. some red with black lip.. some all red some red and clear/smoked lip

this is the male im keeping

SDC13594.jpg

This is the other male im keeping

SDC13612.jpg

Couple of the others

SDC13645.jpg

Some of the Crowntail spawn thats not far off

Mainly showing reds , blues , greens

Piks to come :)

yea i have a red crown tail girl, shes almost ready to breed, starting to get the marble shape to her , hopefully a few more days. he should be able to wrap her, if not ill use my large VT to breed with her. my boy is meant to be a VT but he doesnt have the flowing back tail. and seems to have spikes starting to grow from it. cant wait till he gets bigger and i can see what he is.

fishat7wks.jpg

just some piks of the crowntail spawn#1 for peoples interest

good mix of males and females.. will be for sale very soon if anyone interested

Dad is in the piks... hes a imported pure makes ct

mother is a locally purchased ct ..dont know how pure her lines are but all the fish from this spawn are showing good crowning

Any full blue CT females? :D

hey there

the females are still very bland in color .. there is one on the bottom right pik but its

red

even the males are only darkening up within the last two weeks

il have a look thru the tank tomorrow to see if i can spot a few blue ones

dont see why not since the majority of males are blue based

some of the 2nd crowntail spawn are showing strong blues and reds also but still young

Kris

guessing some of those are females with the HUGE marble belly. so thats whats meant by marble, geez my girl has a ways to go then. need to feed her more. LOL. they look great.

hey again

the majority of the fish in above piks are male.. there is one female on the bottom right.. (lighter colored fish)

mind you some of the pictured other fish could also be female didnt go to the extent of checking for egg spots while photographing

but yeah basically once your female is well fed and full of eggs her belly will also be roundish/marble

these guys are very well fed . thats why their bellys are round

but if your female is close to same size as male i would not let her get that fat as he wont be able to squeeze her eggs out :)

Kris