Fungus? on fish

ozzchick

I was given some fish which have what i think is maybe fungus. The neons seem to be mostly affected and after reading through these forums it was looking like cotton mouth. One of the neons has a huge blob on its mouth,another has a smaller white bit on its mouth and one has white tips on its tail fins and one looks so pale i will be surprised if it makes it! Theres also some rasboras and rosy tetras which dont look too bad, and serpae tetra one of which has 1 fin to its name!! Im guessing they had been kept in pretty shocking water conditions to get in that state. I put them straight into a hospital tank and treated them with tonic salt and furan2 according to directions. Its been just over a week and the huge blob on the neon dosent seem to have shrunk any. The fish are much more active than when i first got them and seem alot happier. How long should it be before i notice any difference? and how long should i wait before adding the healthier of these fish to my main tank? Thanks for any help

It can take a few weeks - it all depends upon how severe the infection was. Some may not recover at all. You should wait AT LEAST a week after all signs of infection have gone from ALL of the fish before you transfer them - that may involve culling the worst affected ones. When you do transfer them, net them out of the hospital tank - don't transfer any hospital tank water to the main tank.