Beardie Eating problem

FMcLaren

Hey guys,

My beardie is about 5 months old and as cute as a button. He will eat anything that moves, and he will devour vegies, What is his problem you might ask? He will not eat anything which is dead, If i doesn't move its not food, although he still eats vegie, and that doesn't move (to my knowledge :P.) This all came about when my mealworm breeding stock turned into beatles (which i wanted to happen :) ) But that means im now wormless. I tried some flukers freeze dried crickets but to no avail...

Help Please.

Cool, Cheers for the replies!

Ill pop into jansens at some time and take a look :)

One more quick question, Should i be worried about him filling up on veggies and not insect? He gets carrot, apple, cucumber, lettuce, all toped of with a little calci powder? He is still eating some insects but not nearly as much as before when they were live.

if you want him to reach his full potential in terms of size and health,you have to get the protein and calcium into him early.Have you got the bearded dragon manual?They can grow at a phenominal rate but they aren`t going to do that on just veges?

dont give him to much calcium as it can be bad for them at the same time(overdose)

i recommend that you go and buy some FLUKERS LIQUID VITAMIN and spary it on his food it costs about $25.90 but you might be able to get it cheaper i use it on ours food good for the live food and vegies

one on trademe from shop in te-awamutu. about $50 a lil pricey i thought

offer (preferably live) crickets/locusts and or roaches, mealworms shouldnt be the staple anyway and beetles arnt the best.

If only have dead available and bd's eating its salad how about puting the bugs in the salad? or try bugs on the end of a kebab stick and tease the lil fellow he may think its alive :lol:

Cheers for the ideas. Yeah he usually gets a mix inscects, not to mention the moth which flew into his cage the other day, needless to say i shut the glass pretty quickly! To the moths credit it only made one mistake :P

My brother said he'd have a go at building me one out of a ps2 vibrator in the controller, so hoping that turns out well.

Hi Frazer, Your lucky Calypso is very finicky when it comes to his salad. Every day its a huge struggle to get the smallest amount into him. i put mealy worms in or wax worm larvae under his salad and he very carefully picks them out, i wiggle bits of green, carrot apple cucumber in front of him and only seldomly will he take a bit from me. Live food its a different story however. The guy from Animates told me if he doesnt get his greens and veges he will grow too big for his bones. How long is buddy now. Calypso's growing fast. Just wish he would eat his greens.

The guy from Animates told me if he doesnt get his greens and veges he will grow too big for his bones.

I would not worry too much about what this `guy` tells you??bones are made from calcium last I heard,if you give him what he wants as in the the live food(dusted with calcium)and have the greens available to him you will be fine(make sure he has the right uv light source or access to natural sunlight)they go through phases with they want and you are lucky as greens are cheap and easy to supply,even if he wastes a bit before he gets onto them,you still have to make them available.