Redear turtle eggs.

Lynnie

Came home from holiday and found a few egg shells in bottom of my turtle tank. One whole, others broken. I have put the one in a guppy breeding container until I know what to do with it.

I have a turtles in a tank and did not think they would just breed when there was no dirt or sand for her to lay her eggs in. Please help. Probally to late for this one but can any one help me on a set up so my girl has a suitable place to lay maybe another batch. Would like a few babies. LOL.

when you gotta go you gotta go I suppose?All you have to do is give her acess to a suitable digging site and she will do the rest.One of the main turtle breeders in this country used to watch his girls for signs of wanting to lay(off their food,trying to get out of their tank etc etc)He would take them out and put them in a cordoned off area off his garden and leave them.they would lay their eggs he would ig them up and hatch.The soil was easier to see where they had layed unlike a sand area where once its dried out often nigh on impossible to tell they have laid.Mine are in an outside pond with sand all around,this is a real problem as I have to dig the whole area over carefully or some eggs get missed.They will lay every three weeks if you feed them well.

The present lot of eggs will be no good as they drown in a short period. I have a seperate tank set up with an area of sand/vermiculite for them to lay (it is about 300mm deep). As stated, they all have there own personality but you can pick when they want to lay. They go off their food and usually dig the gravel in the water more than normal, then get up on the basking area and dig with their front legs. When they dig with their back legs they get moved to the egg laying tank. If you make sure the sand is moist they will normally lay on the next warm day. In the mean time they drive you nuts getting up and down etc etc till they decide it is their only choice and lay.

Thank you both for that information. Was so chuffed to see the eggs. I did notice my female trying to get out of the tank too. Also off her food for a couple of days too. I think maybe Alan I purchased the boys off you here in CHCH a while ago. The female is 21 and was rescued from the SPCA so I am very happy she is happy here wanting to breed for me. Cheers :hail: