GBA Breeding...

freestatedon

Hi all -

A few days ago I gave my GBAs (one male and two females) a lovely big water change - immediately afterwards they started digging their substrate under their cave. Yesterday evening I found two clumps of eggs.

They have bred once before - I removed the adults two days after they were laid (I noticed that the eggs were moved around quite a lot by the adults, and assumed this was important, so I kept them in). I'm just wondering what the best practice is with regards to the adults? I've read that it's generally Ok to leave them in, but I am slightly concerned about the fry/eggs being eaten. Experiences?

I've done both ways, taking the eggs away and raising them myself and let him do the raising.

I think its best when they're a new breeding trio or pair its best to let them learn what to do and later on (after they've successfully raised a few lots) you could raise them (with anairstone for flow) to see what all the stages look like.

If he abandons the eggs its best to step in asap.

i have a 30 odd litre tank for my GBAs and just leave mum and dad in there , i have had 4 batches now i just leave every one in there , they dont get eaten and the older batches dont harass the newer ones. just remember to keep up your regular water changes . i do 10 - 20 % every 2 days.

They hatched on Saturday morning!

I removed the females, as they certainly wouldn't do any good, and possibly some harm, but left the male to do his thing. I've just left him in, and he seems perfectly content to do his own thing and leave the babies alone, which is fantastic.

Always exciting when babies are born!