Inanga have turned transparent!

Romeo

Well, temporarily at least.

It's been VERY hot here in Christchurch, like, 32°c plus inside. So I've had to take drastic measures to keep my Inanga and Koura cool. They've been wrapped tightly in 3 layers of acrylic fleece blankets with a 2.25l bottle of ice in with them. Since the temperature hasn't dropped below 29°c inside over the last 2 days, they've been wrapped up tight, with the tank lamp off, for the entire time. The tank temperature throughout was never over 23°c, so I guess the sacrifice was worth it.

Now, it's cool now, 24°c inside, 20°c in the tank. So, I turned on the lamp, and to my horror, both my Inanga were white & transparent! What's caused this? Do they get tans just like humans ;D?

//EDIT: They're ok now, turned off the tank lamp right away, and let them adjust with the room lights on. They're back to normal now - only took 10 minutes :D

Yip, that is it.

Seen it with my inanga.

They DO do that when seriously stressed also. My embarrassing and tragic heat incident a few years ago involved the tank shooting up to 28 degrees in one day and I lost all the koaro. The inanga were pale like you describe (but in your situation it is the darkness to light thing)

Sounds like you are doing very well coping with the temps. Now keep that up for the next two months and don't leave the house :roll: damned native fish!