Clown Loach temperature...38 degrees !!!

Snowman

Just to let people know that Clown Loaches aren't as fragile as some would think.

I have 12 in 2 tanks the biggest about 20cm, 8 of them including the big one have been through a CO2 setup spill in an AR850 a couple of years ago which killed other loach species, angels and a 15CM BGK, they wern't happy but survived with no noticeable side effects.

A week ago i moved my 4' loach tank in the lounge to make way for a much larger tank, the move went well with no probs until i got home the following night and went to feed, put my hand in the water and freaked, it was hot, a check of the thermometer revealed 38 degrees.

I lost 2 adult pairs of GBA's and a 40cm BGK, all the clowns survived with a 70% water change to drop the temp to 30 degrees.

I was shocked that the Clowns survived the temp and thought it may interest others here.

• 2 weeks later...

I find the big clown's are quite tough, but the small ones don't tolerate much at all. All the ones I have bought from the pet shop have died (3-4cm), but the 7 large ones I have that i bought have survived all sorts of changes (tank upgrades, new fish etc). Trying to get hold of big clowns proves to be very difficult though :(

I find the big clown's are quite tough, but the small ones don't tolerate much at all. All the ones I have bought from the pet shop have died (3-4cm), but the 7 large ones I have that i bought have survived all sorts of changes (tank upgrades, new fish etc). Trying to get hold of big clowns proves to be very difficult though :(

This is exactly my experience. My big clowns seem to be very resilient (especially with high temps - I'm pretty sure they would swim around happily in a spa pool if I let them). But a few months ago I got a new baby to join the clan and he never thrived despite all conditions being *theoretically* ideal.

My oldest clowns have been with me since 2001. During that time they have survived all kinds of algae outbreaks, many house-moves, the tank being medicated for a variety of diseases... and they are still going strong.

The youngest two (I've had them since June 2004) were purchased off Trade Me. The seller didn't mention that her heater had broken down during the course of the auction, and by the time I got them they had spent several days in unheated water in the middle of winter. She had also lost interest in the tank several months before that and I suspect she hadn't done any water changes for a loooong time.

Both loaches survived, although they had an outbreak of white spot a few days after I brought them home. They soon grew to a similar size as the ones I already had, and everyone seems to be thriving.