sand types, colour, size etc for a baby beardie

Fruju

Hi i want 2 types of sand, the first one is for making a background, want it 2 be a sandstoen sort of colour, 2nd type is the substrate, want that 2 be a desert yellow colour anyone know where i can get some?

And if I find wood that i want to use for the setup, should i bake it or soak it? :-?

and i agree with that, lol.... it leads to compaction in captivity.... having said that they seem to do alite in the wild :wink:

if you want to make a back ground with it, then its perfect.... try astroturf as a substrate initially.

seems to be the right thing to do. :)

What do you mean by this?

they can sometimes ingest the sand, and this gets stuck in their gut and builds up - called compaction. I've never kept beardies, but have worked with them and the large one had sand with no problems for a few years....

the term compaction was explained to me by a reptile expert from kruger national park when i was working with snakes many years ago.

I still cant understand why they ingest it in captivity, when they live with sand in the wild.... guess its just one of those things. :cry:

for the wood i leave mine out side for about a week to 2weeks then i put it in the setup as for the sand my beardies have bean on it from the day they were born and i have had no probs with it hae do you see them in the wild with astro turff or carpet untill they are older then go to sand i have my setups as they would be in the wild even with older skulls and have done since i have had them

beardies dont live on a beach (sand) or a sandy environment as far as im aware, i think you will find the natural habitat is more along the lines of compacted clay but i could be wrong.

besides compaction which can happen - bacteria build up in sand is obvious so needs replacing often which is a mission.

- artificial grass can be taken out hosed off dried and put back - clean and green :lol:

nothing natural about keeping them in a tank really, when keeping them in an artificial environment artificial grass makes perfect sence to me and is pretty much 100% safe, just my 2 cents

sand is all good, just not a baby dragon..just to be extra safe. Stone and Water world in Ellerslie Auckland has the wicked stuff. Charcoal and Coffee grits are good and they have Aussie Sandstone pieces cheap. They used to sell avery nice silica sand that was so fine that the beardies prints showed off on it reaaly well. I herad that you need to have a mask when pouring the silica sand outdoors so I did not get it. Be keen to now if anyone has used silica sand...the fine powdery white sand.