Sciaenochromis fryeri

LoGaN

Feed them Fat first (Females)!! You need at least a week, Blood worm, live foods you get it you feed it!! Within limits of course. then do the usual, re-arange the tank decore!! Put them in and watch them. If I remember you have 2 males, they might turn on each other aswell!!

• 1 year later...

I have three males and two females. They not as agressive as most people think. If you only have one female then you asking for trouble. But prepared to have a large holding tank as when they spit fry expect about 80 or so. Most of the time I feed the fry to other fish.

The good thing is one male will become dominant, the other should stay light,(dull) therefore out of trouble. :wink:

I agree with them not being "that" agro. When I was breeding them I would have them with another species(colony)Mbuna, protomeleas(if larger sized)...

The male used to have his cave & that section of the tank. Most Cichlids are pretty smart...yep, you can have that space, I'll cruise around the rest.. :lol:

Frenchy :D

Anyone else got Sciaenochromis fryeri in New Zealand?

I've got three of them - not 100% sure of sex, but I'd guess there were three males. They get a bit snippy with each other from time to time, but there are no real bullies amongst them. It's our three Labidochromis caeruleus that won't quit knocking each other about :). Not so bad as to warrant separate tanks, thankfully 8) .

Hate replying to myself, but....

Just done a little more reading, and I definately have three males. I'd just never stumbled across a website which told me how before today :). I was a little confused since one of them has an anal fin which is much more rounded than the others, but there's certainly no significant difference in body size between them, and not a hint of amber colouring anywhere on these guys :).