Engine Mods on a SPEC S Nissan Silvia

Lesta3474

Is turbo charging a Spec S safe? What about Supercharging.. in any case.. doing force induction on an engine that was not made for it to begin with.. isn't that bad? I guess i could run lower boost since the compression on the SR20DE is much higher then the turbo version? Does that mean less turbo lag as well?

Maybe I'm being alil unrealistic about the HP gain... will 5-10 hp gain be even noticeable though? Oh, and how much HP gain if i changed the Intake and exhaust flows?

lol sorry about all the questions... As far as engine mods go.. I'm still very green! :)

there is only one supercharged silvia in nz that i know of and apparently took a lot of time money and work!

It would nearly seem like a waste of time when you can just buy one off the yard that already has a turbo, could be cool I guess. Someone on this forum owns a civic with a B18CR and a Jackson Racing supercharger, and damn its a fun little car to drive! Supercharger gets it off the mark pretty quickly and then as the revs pick up it just keeps pulling through to 8500rpm.

how much are you willing to spend? and where do you want to go with the car?

Could:

A. leave it as it is, enjoy driving it and not blow your money

B. do a few basic mods, make it sound nice, a bit more power better handling, still be a really fun car to drive, will still be really reliable, wont cost too much

C. Go all out Turbo it, tune it, do all the work you want , will be expensive but hey its your car, if you enjoy it who cares what anyone thinks, i get told all the time im stupid for spending so much modding a little girly starlet, maybe i am but i enjoy it

D. sell car now and buy one with all the bits and pieces you want, will be ALOT cheaper than doing car up yourself

How to wear out a Jappa... drive it! Why muck around.. get a Bike for the thrill or get MORE CYLINDERS ..bent eights or even a Turbo Falcon.. then at least your kids will have something to inherit!

:roll: more cylinders, there's no replacement for displacement...

... other than technology. Why do you think more and more supercars are using smaller higher revving motors with forced induction insted of 20L v18's to make power?

As for thrills, I think doing a 72 second lap around puke in a civic with a stock 1600cc motor is pretty thrilling, perhaps you should try it, you'd probably need fresh underpants after breaking that late into the hairpin from over 200kmh...

in my mind a big motor makes up for a small...... :P

no but seriously, do not need a big motor to go fast, the 2.0l turbo evos, imprezas silvias etc can make some crazy power and be stupidly quick

and dare i say it look at some of the cars hondas make, civics integras etc, can rev stupidly high and make good ammounts of power while still being naturally aspirated with a small motor, plus can handle great. as much joking about how silly hondas are you can never really under estimate them

ahh i could go on all day about the joys of a tiny car with a small motor keeping up/over taking the big cars. the look on an older mans face when his brand new commodore is being passed by an almost 20 year old 1300 starlet.....priceless :lol: