Discus tankmates

Mel

:D I'm getting 3 discus for xmas, well getting them this week sometime

I just want to know what tank mates are best for these guys they are only 50mm so still only bubbas.

I was hoping to have albino BN's, platies and a krib? Platties aren't a must as the are in the tank that the discus are going in, they can come out no big deal with them :D

Many thanks :)

Yeah kribs can be a bit agro, watch they don't stress the discus out.. I am not experienced with discus but have seen alot of people say not to get 3 of them because the biggest one may beat up the smaller 2 stressing them heavily best to get 4-5 of them so aggression is spread out and smaller ones will do well.

Hey ryan .. the krib is the one I got off you, do you have any idea what it is? I kinda think it's a girl, but not sure - I'm trying to get a mate for it, he seems alittle lonely now that i've put all the little cichlids in with the BIG guys ... lol

I'm too scared to put him in the big tank incase he gets eaten :-? so I'm thinking of putting it in the discus tank

I saw [in person too, not on the net!] a tank last weekend that had a mix of discus, uaru, clown loaches, huge bichirs, dats and others, it wasn't planted either. It was around 3000L though! Still, I don't think discus are as wussy as some people like to think they are, I think once they're bigger they'll be fine with kribs.

I don't think discus are as wussy as some people like to think they are, I think once they're bigger they'll be fine with kribs.

Well they are cichlids after all :D but yea my krib is only a wee thing so proberly be ok with them, I think i'll just keep a good eye on them and make sure they are all getting on fine and dandy :)

I'm actually trying to search the net to see how big kribs grow to, anyone know?

I just saw a auction that said they grow to 12cm :o I thought they only grow to around 6 -7cm

Oh i see - best not to get it a friend then.

It actually is quite a placid krib, but in saying that - I have a marble zebra that was such a shy timid thing then when i put it in my big african tank it total changed and is now 2rd in charge of the tank ... lol no boby messes with it :roll:

discus aren't the fastest of swimmers, they seem to like a peaceful sort of tank. if you have them in with faster fish they will miss out on food. A bigger group of discus is better as they do tend to pick on each other and can get pretty agro at times. I have 5 (was originally 6) in with sterbai, cardinals, neons, rummynose, bristlenose and hatchets and wouldn't have a smaller number.

Thanks all for comments and suggestions.

Got my lovely 3 discus last Thursday and happily living in a planted tank with 4 peppered cories and 7 albino BN's, there seems to be no aggression so far so good. The cories seem to be a very good addition with cleaning up the eaten food. I will have to post some pictures of them.

• 1 month later...