Plumbing: fittings

TheClaw

Hi guys

1) Could somebody please identify the brand of fittings I have seen used on both Chimera's and Pies' setups - are they Jansen fittings?

2) Also, where were these fittings acquired?

3) I have seen a type of hosing on some reef tanks in the States that resembles vacuum cleaner hosing. It looks superb - something I would hope to use as a connector from my overflow to sump - again, can anybody identify this type of hosing and where to get it?

Cheers

TheClaw - What fittings are you talking about? I get most of my stuff from Mico Plumbing. The black fitting (tank inlets and outlets, slip ons etc) are made my hansen (NOT Jansen) and can be sourced from Mico. Use pressure piping, its a little expensive but it NEVER leaks and lasts forever.

Also if you want cheap plumbing anf fittings (or some bendy action) use the black irrigation pipe, 19mm from Placemakers or your favorite garden shop, or 25mm-30mmetc from Mico. Only sold by the roll but its cheap as.

Piemania.

Steve - I am sure I will have a few metres of the irrigation plumbing left over once my tank goes in. I'll drop off whats left over to you for free - consider it rental payment for the iwaki :)

Claw - as Pies says its "Hansen" not Jansen. You can get them from almost any hardware or plumbing store in Auckland (Bunnings, Placemakers, Mitre 10, Mico, Chesters etc) I found cheapest is Chesters (the boss in albany branch gave me trade price!)

I have found that the ball valves (taps) can only be bought (as per Pies comment) through Mico plumbing. I think around $35 for a 25mm ball valve from memory? Make sure you get union ball valves which are the grey ones with the blue handles (not the mistake I initially made which was the white ones with red handles!!!)

The 19mm irrigation plumbing I have seen in Auckland at Bunnings and Placemakers - great for your closed loops. From overflow to sump, use the hansen fittings then depending on where the sump is, use flexible hose (preference of non-transparent - you dont white light causing a build up of algae in the piping thus reducing flow efficiency) Simply use marley piping glued together (rinse out thoroughly prior to using). Dont need pressure piping here as its never under pressure.