Tiger barbs scales rotting away ?

Dubbo

HI all, got some problem with my 300L fish tank wondering if anyone could give some advice on it.

Recently, all of my tiger barbs began to have a big white patch on their scale, at first I thought it was just normal discoloration then recently one of the spot turned into what looks like flesh, it seens the fish scales are rotting away ?

My fish tank has also become unsuually discolored ( a green / brown tint to it). I did partial water change 25% for 3 days in a row, and the color is still there and does not seen to have disappeared at all. The gravels are very clean at the moment, and I have just taken the large piece of drift wood in there out thinking it might be something (stuck food?) that's causing all this trouble.

Is this a sign of some kind of fungal infection ? I have put in some metafix in today to hopefully help with the fish scales.

Hi Dubbo :) Is it possible that the missing scales are from wounds? Whatever the cause is you've started out by doing the right thing....water changes. I'd keep doing them for a while because it will help to prevent secondary infections.

What is your normal water change routine and how long has the tank been set up for? What other fish are in the tank? Have you tested for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

The wood may be discolouring the water with tannins but that won't cause any harm.