Arowana at Redwood aquatics

cichlid7

• 2 weeks later...

dunno

but a a grade crossback asian arowana should be around the 3000 mark.

problem is who will bring it in.

you see, its not worth brining in unless they bring in 12 or more lol

so you need to rope other people in to buy asian aros, doest hve to be so expensive, you can get them to bring in cheaper grades

right now, the an importer bought in green aro, red and red tail golden arowana...and 3 premium ones similar to that - the 3 premiums are for a private collector not selling to public.

there is a guy king , he sells them to the public, i dont know how he gets them. he sold EVIL ELMO a VIP RED

a VIP RED is basically the most expensive red one you can buy from memory. Though they come up with more spectacular colours and flavours every year:D but VIP is indeed up there.

If i am not mistaken, estimating a vip red would sell for a minimum 3500 to 4k.

if you are interested in cheaper asian aros, a few petshops have some right now, they are still beautiful.

but unfortunatley, crossback golden is very expensive, the cheaper version of that is a red tail gold which is one i bought - the gold stops on the 4th scale. crossback is gold everywhere. hence the cost.

funny

the cost of breeding them is the same wether its a low grade or high grade, its merely the buyer who pushes the price up:D

why the fcuk would you buy an arowana, worth upwards of 1500 grand.....and treat it like that

gill curl is avoidable, and fixable....

split tail well ok, maybe not, but they should heal ok.

and barbels growback with the proper care

i dont understand.

elmo, how many aros you got?

what are they?

yeah not sure what happened to that aro, just saw it at the back of redwood one day, dunno where it came from but i think it would be from bob's personal collection.....its a real shame to see such a nice fish like that

only have 2 silvers and a red at the moment....next on my list will be a A grade golden XB from king

i would not give a fish to hvae it looked after

i will hvae a simple put ths in the tank every 2 days feeding schedule

and stick this hosein the tank and suck and refil instructions:d

i was away for amonth

my mate changed all my water every 2 weeks. fed fish every 2 to 3 days

minimal waste

its still an awesome fish but poor thing has a split tail that didnt heal correctly, drop eye,gill curl and very small barbels

you want an arowana tim?

No, just had a look at him the other day, not really up with the play on these guys. Looked ok to me :D

Bob has brought a few in over the years, maybe he kept a few back for himself.

I was under the impression that he got that fish in for somebody who had it for an age then returned it in very poor condition.

Then the whole Bob going away thing happened and the arro never really recovered.

Hence why even tho its been at Redwood for a while now it has a problem or 2.

Just what I heard.

hard to fix others muck ups sometimes.

Shame as was/is a nice fish.

Nav

well, the cost of arowanas are expensive to begin with.

most fish may be wild caught or easy to breed.

breeding arowana is challenging.

also, breeders, push the cost up also of course,

marketing and desire.... the more beautiful the aro, the more someone is willing to pay.... like any product really.

in nz, they are expensive beause of compliance with nz MAF.

shipping, gst.

Example... 1.5 red arowana would cost 200 to 300 singapore dollars. Here its 1600 in the shops.

the good thing is that quarantine cost and care cost is the same wether or not you buy a low grade or high grade.

but of course, people base rofits and markup by %. so if a fish is high grade, then the % of profit will once again, push it up.

Why are Aros so expensive?

Simple, supply and demand.

Large fish are difficult to breed, need large ponds occupying large areas of land. To harvest the eggs you need to catch the parents out of the pond at the right time to strip the fry from the parents mouth. Then the tender young fry with egg yolks still attached have to be raised up to a size where they are able to be microchipped and issued with a certificate of authenticity to show that they are second generation captive bred fish (and therefore not putting pressure on wild stocks). They then are passed from the farm to the distributer in singapore to the importer to NZ and finally to the LFS, all who put their mark up on the fish, to cover the costs they incurred. Thats the supply part of it, then there's the demand from superstitious asians who like the red colour and good feng shui it brings, along with something to do with the dragon shape.

my g/f is scared of the aro at redwood! it eats whole goldfish for breakfast as tm said : to my untrained eye it would appear healthy. they had silver aros for sale there small 1s though. the aro is certainly an eyeopener for those who venture out the back i know i was shocked that you could keep fish that big imagine the awe of the general public who dont visit these forums and see pictures of these monsters