Fish for grandson

jude

Hi everyone

I've just spent a fascinating evening reading many of the posts. As a newbie to fishtanks I figure I've made every mistake in the book - so if you hear screams for help in the future don't be surprised.

My 4 year old grandson helped me set the tank up and was fascinated. Because he has no pets of his own I've bought a small tank for him. It will be good for him to learn to look after 'pets' and his mother will closely supervise him and do the more difficult bits.

Now I have to decide what fish I should get him. I don't want goldfish and am wondering about platies or guppies. Obviously I want something tough as I don't want the poor kid to keep finding his fish dead ....... LOL

Cheers

Jude

Take him to a fish store, get him to pick some out. :) Of course, do some research on the fish before buying it. Oh, and make sure you coach him correctly before taking him. "Remember, good little boys pick South american cichlids" hehe.:)

But, something like a couple platties and a bristlenose would be a good start.

very true - its not much bigger than a goldfish bowl and holds 20 litres. But its a tank. I got it from Animates and it has a filter plus a built in light. I didn't want anything bigger as my grandson is only 4.

Thanks for the welcome

Jude

I am in Wainuiomata and gson is in Upper Hutt

LOL - I want him interested in fish .......... not scared of them. He almost walked into a floor height tank holding a huge gourami (I think) in the Hutt Pet Centre and came running back in fright. He wouldn't go round that corner again!

What is the pet shop in Upper Hutt like? I do plan to take him to (semi) choose his fish but I plan to point him at the tank I want him to choose from.

Cheers

Judy

If you want to keep your costs down and just run a cold tank.

Why not think about some rosy barbs, golden barbs, and white cloud mountain minnows, also leopard-fish?

Maybe not altogether.

But a lot of ppl don't realize that these fish LOVE cold water,

colouring up lovely and breeding too.

Some killies appreciate normal house temperatures too. :P

Alan

Well b*****, I didn't realise they liked cold water and I've now gone and bought the heater. Still, I'm not sure that freezing Upper Hutt temperatures in the early morning would be classified as normal house temps. I doubt the room would be heated overnight.

Cheers

Judy

All of the above are at my place, at the moment, outside.

Not what I'd classify as a normal house temperature.

At the present, a cool 8oC.

Killies are at about 120C to 150C

I wouldn't suggest that you get your fish from your lfs

and put them into those temperatures without acclimatising them to it tho.

They will, of course, do okay in a heated tank too.

Alan