ok people i bow to your experience.....re bearded dragons

Elaine

We are seriously considering getting a bearded dragon. at the moment doing research via books (haven't got one yet, trying to track some books down. Wellington City library don't carry, so doing the rounds over the weekend to book stores). But wanted to ask the experts, what is it like to own one.

1. How social are they?

2. Are they ok for childrem, the kids are desperate (so am I really) to get one, dad has sais ok, but i need to check if they are fine.

3. Can they get on with other pets?

4. What age should you get one?

5. Should you one get one, are the social creatures

6. Can anyone tell me the best place to get one and what price should i be looking at (so as not to get ripped off?).

I know a lot of this would be answered in books, but would love to get from horses (excuse me reptiles mouth).

Talking to the man at Port Nicholsons Glass next week re the enclosure, want to get all the i's dotted and t's crossed before looking at purchasing the wee darling/darlings.

I look forward to any help/suggestions you may have.

1. not really, they should be housed seperate imo

2. yea fine with kids theyre really placid, i sit one on my shoulder when outside feeding turtles :lol:

3. anythings possible :lol:

4. pref 6wks+

5. you can decide one get one lol

6. $500 for young (around over summer/soon/now?)

cool pets, ive always liked turtles but these take the cake for me :bounce:

1.very social,don`t mind being handled.

2.let them get a bit of size about them incase of accidental jumping/falling etc,but handle them as soon as you can so they get used to it,I have a couple that were not handled and growen on and they are most unfriendly!

3.our cat ignores them but would not reccomend this sort of interaction?dogs could grab them quickly?no point to chance it?

4.Get one from a responsible breeder that won`t let it go till he knows its eating etc properly,6-8 weeks would be generally fine.

5.one is fine on its own and will be easier to provide the necessarries for,2 can lead to problems with dominance/unwanted mating etc etc.

6.I would go for a breeder that has bred before rather than a first timer that is out to make his fortune,you can also get old breeders that fall into that category.Petshops can be ok,theres always that other place but you want to get someone close to you so you can checkout their setup etc.

I Have recently got two young Bearded Dragon, They are great. Three books that I found really helpful were. Reptile Keepers Guides to Bearded Dragons Facts and Advice on Care and Breeding By R.D. Bartlett and Patricia Bartlett. Keeping Beared Dragons By Darren Green and Ty Larson. I have seen this one in the pet shops. The Bearded Dragon Manual

Hope this helps, and good luck. They are worth keeping and a lot of fun.

Turtle Lady

hi everyone. thanks for your feedback and info. Found a book shop with the manual in, so off to get today. checking out enclosure next week from port nicholson man. Then get the important stuff, like lights etc and last but not least find a breeder. will keep you posted.

If anyone can help re breeders much appriciated.

Also, do you recomend i start of with tiles at the bottom or sand.

An idea if you are looking for somewhere to keep these little fellows when you get them.

If you want to save money do what we did. If you have an old but good looking china cabnet with glass sliding doors that you are not makeing use of.Just take out the shelf if it has one, cut some air hole in the back of the cabnet attach some fine wire over the holes so they can't escape, attach your lights ect inside and decorate. You will have a very nice encloseure which will fit in with everything else.