Plywood tank

Olly

I dont see how this will be any cheaper being made of ply then glass when you factor in the time to build, the costs to waterproof it that are not present on glass, the lack of resale value and the need to make it pretty thats not needed on glass.

IMO, make it glass, and if you like wood then glue some veneer onto it. At least that way you can pull it off when you sell the tank to upgrade to a bigger one.

I can get free ply, wood for frames and pinkbats.

I will just need to buy the glass and pond liner or fibreglass

Labour would be free also

Not sure why everyone is trying to steer Olly away from doing this, Olly has asked how to make one and pretty much everyone has basically said make it out of glass.

Different if it was Glass Tank vrs Plywood but its not.

Don't see a problem with this idea, there are a large number of tanks made of materials other than glass when you get to the larger sizes.

Bob at Redwood in Chch makes them, all are larger sizes and work well.

Personally i think glass is not as good when you get over about 2 - 2.5m in length as the weight is really high and also requires someone who really knows what they are doing when it comes to making tanks.

Did Warren not make a big one out of ply??? not sure but worth a try.

so if its all wood you will only beable to see fish from the top?

plastic tanks would be my choice...

what about one of those white 1000 litre water tanks in steal frame (anywhere from $50-$150 food grade normally more pricey etc) u see them at fairs etc for drinking water, only thing is you would have to cut the top out and im not sure how strong one would be without but if in a frame etc it should be sweet.

You could insulate that then put tongue and groove around outside maybe and theyre easy to plumb into sumps etc and can join more tanks on as needed :D