oily substance on waters surface

Cookieskennels

i brought the tank and got it home. gave it a small wipe down on the bottom only with a fish tank cloth...

i filled it up only to have quite a few fish die and a oily substance on the top of the water.

i drained all the water out and then i used water from the water changes out of my other tanks and again i have this oily surface...

Help please i dont know what to do....get a stocking and cloth it out or what? cnt take all water out and start again as ive already put the cycle in and i dont have anymore as its very expencive.....

help please

I once discovered an oily substance on the surface of the water in the tank. I somehow came to the conclusion that the oily substance was moisturiser that had come off my arms, which I had applied that morninng or sometime before doing maintenance. It was the only thing I could think of that could have happened. No fish died though.

I got rid of it by just holding a small container on its side just below the surface and let the water at the surface flow in capturing most of the slick.