Breeding Bumblebee Gobies

Spink

has anyone out there had any success with breeding these guys?

I did a search and the only registered breeding I found was by John Sutton in 1985.

I have a group if 4 I'm working with, but I just can't seem to get them to do it! I really want to persevere with it, but there are other fish i want to try and breed as well.

Anyone know anything they can share or have any ideas? I'm all out.

Hey Kyle, thanks for that.

I have read the article before, and my bumbles came from my brackish tank. I have kept their breeding tank brackish, apart from the cold fresh water changes, but still nothing.

It looks like I have three females and one male, but so far he hasn't developed into his 'breeding dress'.

Any other suggestions?

I've been trying to get my BBGs to breed also, and I've got eggs, but they were eaten before they hatched. They need lots of really small caves - if the cave is much bigger than they are, they wont keep the eggs. I think water flow is also an issue - they live in rivermouths, so there's a pretty good waterflow there.

They like to have things to perch on, so I'd have layers in their tank that they can move to, and a decent sized tank so they can have a territory. It doesn't need to be very deep though.

Also, feeding is an issue; before they laid eggs for me, they were fed only live food and bloodworms - basically stock them full of protein. Microworms are good because they're generally pretty lazy feeders, and the microworms hang around for a bit.

Also, I think a group of 4 may be a bit small; I had 5 (but one died), but I'd prefer to start off with 8 - 10 so they have more choice.

Good luck, and if you get them to breed, let me know!!

Thanks for that!

Did you have yours in fresh or brackish water?

I think I may have to put them back in the brackish tank for a while with the others I have in my freshwater community tank and wait for a little while.

I have seen them scrapping a little today over one of the terracotta pots I have in the tank, here's a picture of my current set up for them:BBG003.jpg

There are different levels, and I have raised the pH with the addition of the limestone blocks.

I have some much smaller pots I could use, and I have some small shells which might be ok too, although I was worried they might get stuck in the shells if they tried to get too far in.

I have been feeding them up on white worms as much as I can, but my supply has dwindled a bit and have to get it going again.

I read somewhere too that they usually breed in typhoon season, so i slowly reduced the water level, then introduced a BIG dose of fresh cold water, but to no avail, and I have done that a few times too.

I have a 1.5 foot tank that has molly fry in at the mo, maybe I should set that up and move them in to that to give them more space.

Can I ask, did your males 'pale out' like I have read they do? The colouring on mine hasn't changed at all.

I've heard they can get stuck in snail shells, but they seem to like small things. I use the tiny pots broken in half and buried in the substrate. If you give them too much space, they don't seem to be able to defend it well.

I breed them in brackish water (they live in brackish water), but I do a water change with fresh water to try to encourage a spawn.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but thought it just as good to add to it rather than start a new thread....I'm green when it comes to breeding and with BW tanks but want to share my latest occurrence with others...

I have a 60L tank with 7 BBGs in it. It was sitting at 1.005 SG and yesterday I did approx 10% water change (a bucket) with water at around 5deg cooler and with SG of 1.020. Shock horror some may say WHY!!??!!...but I did...with a resulting tank SG of 1.009... and overnight 2 of my BBGs have put on their mating clothes and dancing around the tank....

Coincidental?

I hear people mention adding fresh water to stimulate them into breeding....??

Not intending on breeding them but would be cool if the fry survive in the tank but suspect they will end up food for the fig8 puffer / adult BBGs.....

Further tank info.....substrate is coral sand and decorated with plenty of "live coral rock" to provide lots of hidey holes...

In terms of the salinity change, the change in salinity is more because the bacteria in the filter can't handle the change - fish are able to handle much greater changes without a problem.

I think it's the temperature change that stimulates the spawn rather than the reduced SG - can't be sure, but lots of other fish are stimulated by a change in temp.