Angels accidently laid eggs - need urgent help!

lmsmith

photo-9.jpg

My angelfish in my community tank just laid eggs on my filter inlet. They are in a tank with fish that will eat the babies. I was not trying to breed them, and they are not the same coloration or anything, but I would like to attempt to raise them, so I know what I'm doing in future.

They are both tending to the eggs at the moment. I was thinking that I would move the eggs on the inlet pipe to another tank, and move the parents with them.

Any quick advice on what I should do or how to raise the fry would be great!

i would move the eggs without the parents. Chances are high they will eat them with the stress of moving.

I would put the eggs in a smaller tank and add a couple of drops of meth blue to stop fungus.

Put a air stone bubbling really slowly about 10mm away from the eggs.

That should give you enough time to find out what to do with the feeding side of things :D

Thanks for that. The research I've been doing says that they tend to eat the eggs/young on their first few spawns, so I think I'll move the eggs by themselves.

I'll feed them decapsulated brineshrimp eggs, microworms, and, if I can hatch them in time, BBS.

I'll leave the eggs in the tank overnight, and see if they eat the eggs. They seem be to doing a really good job fanning the eggs at the moment.

I'm suprised how small the eggs are - they're even smaller than cory eggs, so I can only imagine how small the fry will be!

Thanks for that. The research I've been doing says that they tend to eat the eggs/young on their first few spawns, so I think I'll move the eggs by themselves.

I'll feed them decapsulated brineshrimp eggs, microworms, and, if I can hatch them in time, BBS.

I'll leave the eggs in the tank overnight, and see if they eat the eggs. They seem be to doing a really good job fanning the eggs at the moment.

I'm suprised how small the eggs are - they're even smaller than cory eggs, so I can only imagine how small the fry will be!

They are small but grow really quick. Will take a couple of days to hatch so don't stress about the BS. You also need to take care not to feed them to soon.

thanks for your comments guys.

As of this morning, the pair were still defending their eggs, and had efficiently herded everyone else in the tank to the opposite corner. I'll take a look at them tonight, and determine how long I should leave them in there. I'm impressed that there don't seem to be many unfertilised eggs, maybe only 8-10 out of several hundred.

I realized why they spawned; about a week ago, I turned the heater up to 27, and then the day before they spawned, I did a big water change. The water is soft, and the pH is around 6.

Yep, you were right. I got home tonight and they had eaten half of them. The rest of them have turned white, so I wonder if they are both females.

They are both determinedly guarding the eggs, and when the other isn't looking, they'll take a bite at them.

• 4 weeks later...

I would be pretty keen to get a piece of sponge over the inlet of that filter.

I use a "FLUVAL 4 Foam Sleeve Insert" which is designed for a FLUVAL internal filter, and cut them in half and they fit nicely over the EHEIM inlet with a litte filter foam wedged down between the filter and the pipe as there is a reasonably large gap there. Your baby Angels will out grow the inside of the filter otherwise! :D

I had the same problem and ended up moving them to their own tank (you can never have too many) where they weren't stressed, except when I fed them, and were very protective of the eggs and never ate the fry (first time parents) so ended up with over a hundred of the darn things so had to buy more tanks! Keeping them well fed probably helps take away any urges to eat them also?

Good luck.