Cobalt Blue Dwarf Gourami

NataNZ

Hi all,

Is it normal for the dwarf gourami to swim up and down one side of the tank? Have wanted one of these fish for so long and I've just googled for more information and now am a bit paranoid. There are a lot of posts that say they come with viruses and parasites etc and that they need to be in quaranteen for a while. I don't have another tank set up to be able to do this. There are also a lot of posts saying use tank salt and melafix, can I still do this and not effect the other fish? I've heard that salt isn't great for bottom feeders and I have a couple of algae eaters, a striata loach, a red tail shark and and 3 Bolivian Butterflies. I would really really hate for the gourami to die, he's so gorgeous.

I also had a Bolivian butterfly die 3 days ago, I did some tests and the amonia levels were quite high, diagnosed to dodgy filter, so went and brought a new filter. I still have one Bolivian Butterfly that looks a bit pale. Should I do another water change (did one 3 days ago)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have had my tank set up for 9 months now and have just sold some fish so that I had to make room for new ones.

nothing wrong with doing a water change, you certainly wont make it worse.

ive always had a teaspoon of salt in my 3ft, it was something a friend told me about years ago and ive always done it without adverse side effects, i have had bottom feeders at the time too,

this behaiviourisnt uncommon, though it depends how hes doing it, ie. if hes contacting the glass etc or swimmingl funny it might be a parasite, or it might be that as it settles it will drop this behaviour and explore the rest ofthe tank. the Tiger bard i had used to do similiar, though it was a happy healthy fish...